Focused Challenges

Eyelight

This is a heads up for something new.

We are planing to do some challenges that will have a limited number of entries and judged solely by using the polling system.

The highlights (subject to tweaking):

• Entries will be first in, so if the challenge is for five images, only the first five submitted will be accepted.
  • Entries will be submitted via PM or similar private way.
  • Once the number of entries is reached, the submission will close and the entries will be loaded into a poll thread for the members to judge.
  • The EXIF will be stripped from the images for polling.
  • The photographer of each image will not be revealed until after poll closes and judging is final.

Open to everyone to enter, except for the person running the challenge.

First challenge will start sometime this week.

Pretzel

Assuming this will be images "without watermark" as well? ;) And for clarification, when you say 5 images, first in, does that mean only 5 images for the whole challenge, or 5 images per entrant, or... ASSUMING it just means 5 overall entries, but figured I'd ask before someone else does.

Eyelight

Do you think these will allow older shots, or only new shots made for the purpose of the challenge?

There could be a challenge that allows images previously taken.

Assuming this will be images "without watermark" as well? ;) And for clarification, when you say 5 images, first in, does that mean only 5 images for the whole challenge, or 5 images per entrant, or... ASSUMING it just means 5 overall entries, but figured I'd ask before someone else does.

Each challenge will have a limited number of total entries due to the limit we can set up in a poll and 1 entry per photographer.

We can load up to 20 poll options, but it's not real easy and don't want to make it too not fun, so the first will probably be 5, but depending how it goes and the interest, could have larger numbers later.

A bit of the idea is judging based solely on the merits of the image, so no ID of photographer or gear during the polling/judging.

Eyelight

Another thought. This is a global site what about the time zone differences ?
if it's limited to 5 entries and the topic is announced mid day EST then APAC and Europe could miss out.

Due to the limited amount of space, and assuming there is interest, there will always be some that don't make the challenge entry cutoff. We could stagger times from one topic to the next.

A lot will depend on how much interest is shown. If it takes 3 days to get 5 entries, won't be an issue.

wev

Contributor
Sorry, but this seems more an exercise in internet speed and luck than quality of photography.

Eyelight

Sorry, but this seems more an exercise in internet speed and luck than quality of photography.

It took almost 3 days to get 5 entries in the "Natural Framing" Weekly Challenge. Just happens that wev's was the 5th one and it was 6 days after the topic was announced.

wev

Contributor
It took almost 3 days to get 5 entries in the "Natural Framing" Weekly Challenge. Just happens that wev's was the 5th one and it was 6 days after the topic was announced.

Well, I'm nothing if not ironic, eh?

I posted the pic the first time I saw a post on the topic -- there is a lot going on here and things drop off the list quickly. I could have posted half a dozen entries (several better), but it is limited to one per, so I stopped paying attention to it.

mikew_RIP

My concern is you make the effort to go out and shoot for this challenge only to find the quota has been filled,that would be frustrating to say the least.

Eyelight

My concern is you make the effort to go out and shoot for this challenge only to find the quota has been filled,that would be frustrating to say the least.

Hoping the spirit of the challenge and capturing a great image and knowing your image would have beat the stuffing out of the ones who got in will assuage any grief caused by being late.:)

Part of the reason for tossing in the idea and giving it a couple days, is so we can consider how it will work. I have an idea how we might make this part better.

Eyelight

Couple Updates

• Looking at having a submission window of 3 days for the first challenge and just see how it works. Any entry received within 72 hours would be accepted.

• Might be a few more days before kicking this off. Working to improve the submission process.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Couple Updates

• Looking at having a submission window of 3 days for the first challenge and just see how it works. Any entry received within 72 hours would be accepted.

• Might be a few more days before kicking this off. Working to improve the submission process.

Think you may be onto a winner with that change,it also allows for time zones