D800 and cable release issue

JayneO

Hope you can help, I'm new to this forum. I have been using a Nikon MC-30 manual cable release with my D800 for some time now, and it's been working a treat. HOWEVER, just recently the cable release still works but the preview (playback) button doesn't show the image on the LCD while the cable release is fixed to the camera. Soon as I unscrew it, the preview screen works. Any ideas? :)

wornish

Hope you can help, I'm new to this forum. I have been using a Nikon MC-30 manual cable release with my D800 for some time now, and it's been working a treat. HOWEVER, just recently the cable release still works but the preview (playback) button doesn't show the image on the LCD while the cable release is fixed to the camera. Soon as I unscrew it, the preview screen works. Any ideas? :)

Sounds like you have a short in the cable release either at the plug end or in the hand control. I had an issue with my MC-30 it would focus when doing the half way press but not actually take the shot on my d800. The quality of the internal wiring in the MC-30 s not that good.
Sounds like you need a replacement, is it under warranty still?

Have you tried the MC-30 on another camera just to make sure its not the D800 itself which is unlikely.

JayneO

thanks for that, will give it a go using another cable release. nope i think it's out of warranty, of course! is it likely do you think then, that the cable could still fire, but just the playback be affected?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One good thing about the DF, I can use the old type screwed-in mesh with plunger cable release. :)

wornish

thanks for that, will give it a go using another cable release. nope i think it's out of warranty, of course! is it likely do you think then, that the cable could still fire, but just the playback be affected?

It might still take pics but I wouldn't risk it.