Possible D90 purchase

ThePilot

Looking at getting a D90 either new or used.

Is it that much better than the D80 (much cheaper used than D90)?
Also cannot decide on lenses
The 18-105 gets mixed reviews, 18-55 vr and 55-200 vr well regarded but would a used better Nikkor lens be more sensible for the same sort of money?
I have a 35mm nikon film slr with 3 superb lenses but they will not work with DSLR electronics.

Ta
Iain

Curt

Well, with the D90 you can shoot video. If you are not interested in having that feature, then a used D80 would be a cheaper route to go. I have a D80 and I think it's a great camera (starter or more advanced). I have the 55-200VR. nice lens, would work great on either the D80 or D90. Used lenses are great, if you find a good deal, make sure the glass is clean.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Looking at getting a D90 either new or used.

Is it that much better than the D80 (much cheaper used than D90)?
Also cannot decide on lenses
The 18-105 gets mixed reviews, 18-55 vr and 55-200 vr well regarded but would a used better Nikkor lens be more sensible for the same sort of money?
I have a 35mm nikon film slr with 3 superb lenses but they will not work with DSLR electronics.

Ta
Iain

Like Curt said, if you don't need the video feature, then the D80 is a better deal, money-wise. The 55-200VR is a great lens for either of those cameras. The 18-105VR is a great lens. Many use it as their walk around lens. Nothing wrong with that lens at all. Wish I had one. :) As for your film lenses, depending on which ones they are, they will work on the D80 or the D90. All AF lenses will work. Some lenses will have to be manually focused, but they still work in Manual Mode.

Last edited:

Vermontster

My first DSLR was the D80. I loved the camera. I upgraded to the D90 for the video capabilities. The video was so so on the D90 and I would have been better off buying an actual video camera and keeping the D80.

That said, I love the D90 for photo's. The 18-105mm VR was the kit lens that came with the D90 and I used it 90% of the time. Great all around lens.

A sad story: A client called my cell phone and some how when I answered the phone, I dropped my camera and shattered the 18-105mm lens.:( I have not replaced that lens yet (been 2 months) because I am punishing myself for being such a dumbster. That lens will be mine again some day...just sayin.

markD90

i have a D90 with the 18-105 and use it as a walk around lens.....and have a sigma 10-20 for landscapes and 80-200 f2.8 !

the 18-105 is brilliant ......is on the camera most of the time!

and the D90 cant be beaten for the money!! i bought mine from ebay! make sure you collect if its second hand and check properly before parting with your money!

jengajoh

I have the D90 with the 18-105. It's a great lens, and a great camera. A really good range for a walk around lens. At this point if you get a D90 it will probably have to be used since they just discontinued it.

Jacqueline

Last December I was looking for a digital SLR. The camera body and the lens together had to come in under a thousand dollars. I was leaning towards buying a Nikon since my old film SLR was a Nikon. I bought the D90 with the 18-105 lens and I'm really happy with my choice. I can't speak to the D80 since I've never used it. The lens works well as a "walk around lens" as everyone else has said.

bluenoser

Banned
Looking at getting a D90 either new or used. Is it that much better than the D80 (much cheaper used than D90)?

Yes. While the D80 was a fine camera in it's day - it has been surpassed in more than just video capability by the D90 (truth be told the video implementation isn't that great). For example, the D90 can shoot at much higher ISOs without objectionable levels of noise creeping into the image. Of course the D80 can still take great images, but the D90 does offer a lot more in terms of features and performance (that's why it's more expensive! :)) Only you can decide if the extra money is worth it but in my opinion it certainly is.

Also cannot decide on lenses, The 18-105 gets mixed reviews, 18-55 vr and 55-200 vr well regarded but would a used better Nikkor lens be more sensible for the same sort of money?

I've owned all 3 of these lenses at one time or another. I also like buying used lenses too - my 18-105VR was a used purchase. There are so many of them floating around that you could get a mint condition one for a very reasonable price (even brand new it's not really expensive). The 18-105VR (and adding a 70-300VR at some point) would be my choice over getting the 18-55 + 55-200.

Good luck

ThePilot

Thanks guys. Scanning the retailers now for prices, used and new.
Some of the used dealers are a bit steep. Be as well buying new.

Iain.

Curt

I was in London Drugs just the other day and saw they were selling the D90, and at a regular retail price?
I would have thought they would be clearing them out, but it seems they are pushing them at regular price.

Curt

I stand corrected, I just got a flyer (London Drugs) and the D90 is selling for $779.99 with 18-55 VR lens. The flyer is dated this weekend, so that’s pretty cheap.

Ryan Mason

A newbie here. Looking to jump into the game with the d90. Also wrestling with the lens decision. Sounds like the 18-105mm VR will be a solid lens to get started, but I keep hearing amazing things about the 50mm f/1.8, which is really enticing to me because I love low-light shots.

I suppose my question here is: do I get the kit with the 18-105mm VR and buy the 50mm separately? Is that redundant?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you can afford both, get both. If you can only afford one, get the 18-105. Otherwise you'd be kind of limited in your choice of shots. The 18-105 is a very good and sharp lens. The 50 is better for low light or light traveling when you know what you will be shooting, but for a walkaround lens, the 18-105 is the one to get.

Curt

Great choices, as Marcel said, if you can afford both go for it both great lenses.
You will have a great start with that body & lenes :).

bluenoser

Banned
A newbie here. Looking to jump into the game with the d90. Also wrestling with the lens decision. Sounds like the 18-105mm VR will be a solid lens to get started, but I keep hearing amazing things about the 50mm f/1.8, which is really enticing to me because I love low-light shots.

I suppose my question here is: do I get the kit with the 18-105mm VR and buy the 50mm separately? Is that redundant?

Don't buy both at the same time. I'd get the 18-105VR first, get acquainted it and your new D90. While you're getting used to it, set it at various focal lengths (i.e. such as 50mm) to give you an idea of how that looks and feels to you. As nice as the 50 1.8 lens is, you may discover that the 50mm focal length is not really one you find much use for and instead you may discover that a lens like the 35 1.8 is a better choice. That was my experience - I bought the 50 1.8 right away and discovered that I found it not particularly well suited for my uses and ended up getting (and loving) the 35 1.8.

Best of luck with your purchase! :)

Ryan Mason

Thank you all. Seriously. I've been obsessed and reading so many different opinions. And everyone has one that's slight different. I'm going to go with the 18-105mm kit and just get to know my camera well first. Will report back then. Again: much appreciated.

fotojack

Everything that James said is right on the money. Also, consider this: the 50mm is just that.......set at 50mm......one focal length. Great for taking portraits and things around the house, but for anything else, the 18-105mm is definitely the way to go, with it's extra reach and multiple focal lengths.
As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to get myself a 35 1.8.

dt2003au

I will recommend the buying of 50mm first. There is a case to be made that artistically it is beneficial to be "limited in your choices" (or, better put, more focussed). But that's just me:) And the photos are much better when done using primes as opposed to cheaper zooms (the primes are not just faster, most of them, but the color comes out better, as there are less elements it goes through). Don't go for zoom unless you specifically need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk