Telephoto lenses

bdog7198

Sorry for the newbie question, just getting started

I currently have a AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED lens. What I am looking for is a 2x converter or a longer telephoto lens but not sure what to get to work with this lense and my D5200. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

Converters work ok but be aware that they do soften the images a bit.
And also consider a 1.4 X TC - I use on on my 70-300mm occasionally

Whiskeyman

The likely issue you'll run into with that lens and converters is focus, especially with a 2.0 converter. You'll lose autofocus with that combination, according to the Nikon specs for your camera.

WM

fotojack

It is not recommended to use the 2.0 converter on the 55-300 lens. Better image quality will be with the 1.4 converter. I have been told this by others who have tried both on this particular lens.

bdog7198

Thanks for the replies, could someone suggest some telephoto lenses compatible with my camera. I am not a pro, this is for my enjoyment so does not have to be a professional lens. My main photos are taken of horses, and nature/animal pics.

FastGlass

Also be aware that every lens is not compatible with using TC. Check the compatibility chart on the lens in question before assuming.

Whiskeyman

Thanks for the replies, could someone suggest some telephoto lenses compatible with my camera. I am not a pro, this is for my enjoyment so does not have to be a professional lens. My main photos are taken of horses, and nature/animal pics.

Just about all Nikon-mount lenses are going to be compatible with your camera. The issue is when the combination of lens and tele-converter provides an effective aperture (f-stop) that provides too little light and contrast for your camera to autofocus with.

Here is a chart for the 2.0: AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III from Nikon

and one for the 1.4: AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II from Nikon

Find your lens in the list, and you're good to go. If your lens isn't there, then you're going to have issues with metering and/or focus.

WM

bdog7198

Its not on this list so out of luck on a TC, and the Nikkor lenses are out of my price range.

Any thoughts on a decent brand which is a good bang for the buck? There are a LOT of different brands, not sure which ones to trust

480sparky

Kit lenses are usually not used with TCs because they're slow to begin with. Any slower, and the AF will not function on some cameras, especially low-end ones. Even a 1.4x TC will make the 3.5-5.6 lens an f/5-8, and f/8 is much to slow for the D3xxx and D5xxx bodies.

Another issue with Nikon TC's is the front element of the TC actually extends forward out of the lens mount. This can physically conflict with the rear element of many lenses. Meaning... glass will be pushed up against glass.

Bunsen Honeydew

It also depends on how much you want to spend. I love my Tamron 150-600 at $ 1300.00 - This is a full frame lens so you would see the equivalent of 225-900 mm.

mikew_RIP

Long lens depends on not only what do you want to shoot but also budget,i would start looking at 400mm and over in sigma mainly, they have three to choose from at sensible prices new and secondhand,only look at lenses that have stabilizing built in the sigma units are, 120-400,150-500 and 50-500,be cautious though with secondhand as there have been more than one version of some and the early ones may not have stabilization built in.

bdog7198

How about a Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO, any thoughts? Potentially with a Sigma 2x EX DG APO tele-converter AF? I know I will lose autofocus with the TC but any other concerns?

Bunsen Honeydew

When you are at the 500mm mark, your f stop will already be 6.3 , so when you put on a teleconverter you will lose more f stops depending on the strength of the teleconverter. This not only makes the viewfinder dark, but you will probably lose autofocus, & as well, doing a manual focus may be difficult.

SteveH

I'm in the same boat, using a 55-300mm - I am planning on going with a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and then adding a 2x converter to that. Being F2.8 to start means you will still get a reasonably fast apperture when at 400mm (F5.6). Also, the Sigma does not break the bank (relatively).

bdog7198

Went ahead an ordered the Sigma 150-500mm, got a tripod and wifi connector also. Will spend some time learning that before deciding anything else. I am a true newbie, the discussions of iso, and f/# is beyond me right now. But part of the fun is learning and with the equipment I will have now I have what I need to do so. Thanks for everyones help. I imagine I will have plenty of other questions.

bdog7198

Okay, one more question and this may be a stupid one. I just got my Sigma 155-500mm lens, seems nice but need to play around with it. The stupid question is, I kind of thought the zoom would be stronger (pull the object in the picture more). Am I expecting to much or is there something I need to do to open to full power of the lens (other than turning the lens to go to the higher setting...).