Aperture Priority vs Shutter Priority for sports/movement?

Camera Fun

Aperture Priority vs Shutter Priority:
Which would you recommend (and why) for sports photography (and other photography with movement such as wildlife)?
Thanks.

fotojack

Which would you recommend (and why) for sports photography (and other photography with movement such as wildlife)?
Thanks.

OK...you're on the right track.:) Here's the general Rule of Thumb: If it doesn't move.....Aperture Mode
If it moves..............Shutter Mode

Subject to change with circumstances, depending on what and where and how you're shooting. :)

Also, the Golden Triangle of Photography - Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO - will also come into play. Learn about that first, and some of the rest will come much easier to you.

As to your original question...which would I use for sports? Hockey (fast moving)...shutter mode. Tennis...same. Baseball......hmmm. Are the players moving or standing still at the bases? If moving...shutter. If not moving...Aperture. See what I mean about the different circumstances? :)

FastGlass

Normally you would choose shutter priority when shooting anything that moves. But there have been times when I want to isolate the subject from the fore or back grounds. So at those instance I would choose aperture priority when the shutter still falls within the limits to still get the shot. Although a ND filter is usually required for those special moments. For fixed subjects it's almost always aperture priority. If the shutter falls to a level that requires a tripod so be it. Never had an instance where I would want shutter control when the subject isn't moving.

Rob Bye

Which would you recommend (and why) for sports photography...

Have you considered taking full control of the situation by selecting Manual? Take out a distracting background. Freeze the action. Imply movement with a little blur. Some combination of these - it can be your choice instead of the camera's.

I love to shoot bird in flight and do every chance I get. I need stop action and a large DOF to get the entire bird in using a long lens. I shoot Manual so I can set both a fast shutter speed and a aperture small enough to get the DOF I need. I set ISO to AUTO setting the top end at a speed I am comfortable shooting. It works out pretty good for me most of the time. After the first shot i double check it and adjust as needed for the rest.

aced19

Like Don posted I also use Manual mode for sports or movement. Just set your ISO on auto. You'll have more control on what your wanting to achieve. Set your aperture on what DOF you want and set your shutter to stop action or with some blur. Let the auto ISO work out the correct exposure for you.

Camera Fun

Thanks for all the replies. I have definitely considered the potential of using Manual. Since I got the camera, my photos have been general shots, stills, portrait styles, etc. and currently using aperture priority, auto iso, AF-S focus, and raw+jpeg. Now that I'm considering trying shots with movement at some point, I'm considering starting with Shutter priority, auto iso, & jpeg to get things going and then trying Manual after a while. I'm still debating what focus mode; AFA vs AFC?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for all the replies. I have definitely considered the potential of using Manual. Since I got the camera, my photos have been general shots, stills, portrait styles, etc. and currently using aperture priority, auto iso, AF-S focus, and raw+jpeg. Now that I'm considering trying shots with movement at some point, I'm considering starting with Shutter priority, auto iso, & jpeg to get things going and then trying Manual after a while. I'm still debating what focus mode; AFA vs AFC?

Try all focusing modes and decide for yourself what your preference is. When you rely too much on other's opinions, you might actually not use the one that's best for you.

SteveL54

OK...you're on the right track.:) Here's the general Rule of Thumb: If it doesn't move.....Aperture Mode
If it moves..............Shutter Mode

Subject to change with circumstances, depending on what and where and how you're shooting. :)

Also, the Golden Triangle of Photography - Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO - will also come into play. Learn about that first, and some of the rest will come much easier to you.

As to your original question...which would I use for sports? Hockey (fast moving)...shutter mode. Tennis...same. Baseball......hmmm. Are the players moving or standing still at the bases? If moving...shutter. If not moving...Aperture. See what I mean about the different circumstances? :)

Triangle.jpg