Are there Legal Wedding Release Forms for Photography 'Student/Beginner' available?

Kevin67

Just a quick reply to save everyone time - I got this nailed (I hope). I'm leaving the original post to avoid confusion by deleting it.

Thanks.
Kevin

Apologies if this has been covered before - I'm still getting used to this forum and where things are.

I'm learning photography like a full time student 9am-5pm style. I'm coming along and I figure I'll make at least reasonable progress over this year.

I do like to plan ahead and one of the things I will be doing is (almost-free) photography for disabled people, weddings, celebrations, etc.

Now I'm old enough to have been had by all sorts of people who reckon they can make the law say whatever they think in their imagination. I've known directly (but not me) where brides have created hell because they think their wedding shoot should be free if they scream loud enough. I'd like to avoid that if I can.

I'd like to draw up a standard Invitation to Provide Photographic Services form where it states my skill level and that there is no refund. (I will charge only petrol costs and the cost of the wedding album if they want one.) Of course, if I am so bad I will give them the petrol money back - but I honestly cannot see this happening - bar a camera failure. In short, I'd like a form which covers me for just about everything except unreasonableness on my part.

Does such a thing exist freely that I can use/amend without too much trouble?

I'm almost half expecting to get advice/tips on the legal side/working side of weddings and those would also be very gratefully received.

Just for clarification; the form would have to be UK applicable, please.

Very many thanks
Kevin

Last edited:

FastGlass

I'm sure you can find something online you can do and fill in what you want to add and remove what's not needed. If it were me I would go the extra mile. I would find a lawyer in your area that is familiar with this kind of thing and have them come up with something addressing your concerns. Remember this piece of paper is what's going to protect you from possibly getting sued. Cover your ass. Shooting a wedding is probably the most important event for many people. If something doesn't go right, their going to want to blame someone.

fotojack

All the reasons you stated are the reason I gave up doing weddings years ago! lol. Not that I ever had any trouble...but I chose to avoid any such future problems by not doing weddings any more. And yes, there are legal forms that you can avail yourself of. Try Googling "Legal wedding photography forms" Of course, they must be relevant to your geographical area. Not all countries recognize such things. We live in a litigious society, so one must cover ones ass at all times! :)

Whiskeyman

A bride is one thing, but the bride's mothers are another, and the reason I don't and won't do weddings.

A lesson vicariously learned...

A wedding is a case where it is essential to have a contract agreed to and signed by all. Most of my professional acquaintances require a substantial pre-paid deposit.

WM

Last edited:

Kevin67

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and politely advise you to start your own thread rather than tacking your questions randomly onto other peoples threads. If you don't know how to do this, read the 'how-to'.