Adjusting out an unwanted Highlight!

RockyNH_RIP

Let me set the stage... "I am a Beginner!" The purpose of this is twofold... first is too point out that each of us should be very critical of our images to "see" where we can improve! In this case, Marcel pointed out about an improvement regarding blurring a tree.. The more I looked, the more I agreed and decided to try and improved.. What follows are 2 methods I tried (and I need to do some more practicing). That is the 2nd point, look at all your tools and options to achieve your goals..

This is NOT a be all/end all... just reminding all that we can make things "better", and even "more better" (my word!) by some study and practice... We need to all welcome constructive critiques of our work....

Just love the light on this one. You could use a bit of local blur to fade the tree in the background before you make the print for your wall. :)

Agreeing with Marcel's assessment that this image could be improved (and again, thank you as I did not see it until you pointed it out), I decided to see if I could improve it... I played some with lightroom using the adjustment brush and graduated filter... I settled on the adjustment brush with
Exp -.41
Contrast 36
Highlights, Clarity & Sharpness -100
Shadows -5
Noise -3

I then did some research to learn how to do some blurring via layers in Elements The image looked decent but when I compared all 3, I found it too bright (as was the original) in the blurred area. Since I was back in lightroom, I used the graduated filter on the final image (reducing exposure & clarity) which I think improved it even more by reducing the brightness from the sun in that area.

Original
D71_2408.jpg

Lightroom Edit
D71_2408-2.jpg

Elements (Blurr) w/ Lightroom final..
D71_2408-Edit.jpg

Ok, so not perfect... and likely the LR adjustment is improved and may be adequate...
The layers with the blur tool with some more experience on my part likely will make the best final image.
I obviously need to get more skill on the transition & blending.

Best part, I went and practiced and adjusted deeper than normal and I owe that to Marcel!
I am going to spent some more time learning the finer points of Elements, Layers and Layer Masks.

Have a great day! :)

Pat in GA

Scott Murray

There is much more you can do even in LR, I am unable to save your image but you could try some graduated filter to reduce the exposure and even add neg clarity which will reduce sharpness and highlights. You can also use the brush tool to reduce highlights.

RockyNH_RIP

There is much more you can do even in LR, I am unable to save your image but you could try some graduated filter to reduce the exposure and even add neg clarity which will reduce sharpness and highlights. You can also use the brush tool to reduce highlights.

Scott, great ideas... I did use the brush tool but obviously could have gone further... I did not try the graduated filter but thought of it after I did the filter on the Elements adjusted image.

Pat in GA

Eyelight

This is what I really like about post processing. There are different ways to do something. I liked @Scott Murray 's approach so tried one. This is with the LR adjustment brush reducing exposure and clarity on the background going for the look that the background was more in the shade. Then processed the whole with an eye on the bird detail.

I did a second adjustment brush just on birdies head to darken slightly.

D71_2408_150117_1024_001.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

This is what I really like about post processing. There are different ways to do something. I liked @Scott Murray 's approach so tried one. This is with the LR adjustment brush reducing exposure and clarity on the background going for the look that the background was more in the shade. Then processed the whole with an eye on the bird detail.

View attachment 134425

Excellent Eyelight! That is what I envisioned after seeing Scotts... Very nice job and thank you for sharing and adding to the conversation!

Pat in GA

Scott Murray

View attachment 134425
To me there is way too much sharpening involved in this which detracts from the image.

Eyelight

To me there is way too much sharpening involved in this which detracts from the image.

Interesting. I added no sharpening as such. Though I did make other adjustments with an eye to enhancing the detail, which maybe has a similar impact.

It is always easy to go to far.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Looks a lot better, Eyelight. I'm learning too. Maybe a few more lessons on Lightroom using the techniques [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION] wrote about would help later when I post one for editing.

Eyelight

Scott has a good eye. I can't see any difference when looking from image to image, but I can if I load them where I can toggle between the changes.

Scott Murray

Scott has a good eye. I can't see any difference when looking from image to image, but I can if I load them where I can toggle between the changes.
I can see a big change, so am surprised you cannot. I am sure my eye is good but c'mon its not that good. Maybe my monitor is better hehe.