D5300 With Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens - Lens Filters

Yormalda

Hi Nikonites,
I am a newbie to owning a DSLR, my selection is a NikonD5300 coupled with a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens.
I will be travelling to Vietnam on a river cruse & will be taking mega photos, I fully realise that the usual lens protection is a good UV filter?

Reading up on other posts, I now wonder if I may be better off with a good quality circular polarizing filter for the best shots?

I would very much appreciate feedback on this from other forum member's experiences!

Horoscope Fish

I am a newbie to owning a DSLR, my selection is a NikonD5300 coupled with a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens. I will be travelling to Vietnam on a river cruse & will be taking mega photos, I fully realise that the usual lens protection is a good UV filter? Reading up on other posts, I now wonder if I may be better off with a good quality circular polarizing filter for the best shots? I would very much appreciate feedback on this from other forum member's experiences!
I rarely shoot outdoors without a CPL, personally, but... There are a couple things you need to be aware of and watch out for when using one, especially at wide focal lengths such as 18mm. Primarily that skies can get an blotchy, uneven appearance (photo is not mine but is a perfect example of what I'm talking about). It doesn't happen all the time but it's a pain when it does. If you can live with the fact you might have to adjust your filter from time to time I think you'll be quite happy with a good CPL for your outdoor shooting. As I said I rarely shoot outdoors without one, but you DO have to be aware of it, and the fact that it will require you to adjust it from time to time based on your shooting conditions; a CPL is NOT a "set it and forget" sort of thing.

As an alternative, you might want to consider the Hoya HD2 Protector instead of a CPL.

Yormalda

I rarely shoot outdoors without a CPL, personally, but... There are a couple things you need to be aware of and watch out for when using one, especially at wide focal lengths such as 18mm. Primarily that skies can get an blotchy, uneven appearance (photo is not mine but is a perfect example of what I'm talking about). It doesn't happen all the time but it's a pain when it does. If you can live with the fact you might have to adjust your filter from time to time I think you'll be quite happy with a good CPL for your outdoor shooting. As I said I rarely shoot outdoors without one, but you DO have to be aware of it, and the fact that it will require you to adjust it from time to time based on your shooting conditions; a CPL is NOT a "set it and forget" sort of thing.

As an alternative, you might want to consider the Hoya HD2 Protector instead of a CPL.

Thanks Horoscope Fish,
I appreciate your comments, As both filters are fairly cheap I think I will buy both & experiment prior to my trip

dennybeall

You can also get a base for the D5300 that will hold two batteries and help with the power use if you keep the GPS running all the time. I got mine off an add on eBay. A couple of extra batteries would help also.
I have the 18-140 lens as well and it's been a good one. If you can get a 300mm also (rent it if necessary)I think you'll be happy to have it to use on that trip.