View NX2 question / distortion control

cbay

Just got a D7000 with 18-140, Cannot do any post with the lens. My old lenses will. When loaded to NX2 it states "images can't be displayed as RAW or edited because distortion control lens profiles are not found.
I went to Nikon's website and downloaded the distortion firmware update in case that might be the problem, i'm not ruling out a setting on my part though.
Not sure what to do now that i have the bin file in a folder on my computer. Do i simply copy it to the card? Could use a little help if someone doesn't mind.
Regards,
Chris

J-see

If you're talking about the one for the cams, you just copy it to the SDcard and when done, power up the cam and the rest you'll see on the LCD.

Do not copy the file into the folder on your card. The LCD should show you the firmware you can select. Select it to install, wait until done and shut down the cam.

Do not forget to format the card afterwards.

Last edited:

cbay

If you're talking about the one for the cams, you just copy it to the SDcard and when done, power up the cam and the rest you'll see on the LCD.

Do not copy the file into the folder on your card. The LCD should show you the firmware you can select. Select it to install, wait until done and shut down the cam.

Do not forget to format the card afterwards.

Thanks, I guess the lens is a new model and the camera doesn't have what it needs about it. Camera is making me recharge the battery first. Hopefully that takes care of it.

cbay

The camera already had version 2.05. Went ahead and turned off distortion feature for now. Could it still need it or possibly the version 1.009 ?

J-see

The camera already had version 2.05. Went ahead and turned off distortion feature for now. Could it still need it or possibly the version 1.009 ?

I don't understand why ViewNX would have a problem with it. It loads the NEF and all info it needs should be in that NEF. Whatever lens used should play little role. If the cam can take a shot with the lens, the RAW info is there. That is will not automatically correct lens distortion I can imagine but not loading the shot is strange.

Did you try another program? Capture NX-D is free to download at Nikon too.

Last edited:
I have used the 18-140 on the D7000 and used View NX2 to open with no problems. Not sure what could be causing this. Just make sure firmware in the camera is up to date and that the ViewNX2 is also up to date.

cbay

Thanks for the response. It is still doing the same thing. I disabled distortion control, took photos, then uploaded to NX-2 and was able to edit RAW and the message went away.
Today i took a pic and uploaded and it gave me the same warning and wouldn't allow RAW edit. So i checked the camera and the distortion function was turned on!! I don't recall turning it back on - as i didn't want to deal with it for now and figured i would wait and get some feedback from some of you here on the forum.

tdk

Chris, did your problem resolve with an update to NX-2? I have this problem now with a D810 and the new 24-70 VR lens, using ViewNX-i.

GeneralUse

Encountering same problem. Using D500. Maybe it's too new. I am able to open old NEF's shot with D90 but I get the same message as poster when I try to open NEF's shot with D500 with 16-80mm. Everything is updated.

Last edited:

jonas_mendoza

Something similar happened to me when I went from the D90 to the D7200. My problem was the SD card compatibility. If you are using an older card from an older camera. You might want to check that. Nikon has a full list of compatible cards for each camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbay

Chris, did your problem resolve with an update to NX-2? I have this problem now with a D810 and the new 24-70 VR lens, using ViewNX-i.

Hi tdk, i'm sorry i don't know for certain what was causing the issue, i wish i could help.
If i were to guess i think it was to update the software to the most recent version.