First Attempt at Fireworks with the D3100

This was shot with a 200MM lens, F8 at 2 seconds
I was 10 miles away so there had to be a good bit of cropping to get a decent picture.

fireworks_1556.jpg

The white dome in the lower left of the photo is the State Capital building of the State of Alabama.

PavementPilot

Ok, unless my leg is in a straight leg brace (ACL post op) at Canada Day, I am going to try this. That is if they have them this year. Depends on if they have them. Some years they are cancelled due to dry conditions.

fireworks_1471s.jpg
I have been playing with them today and a little last night and I see that they are a little overexposed. I think F16 at 2 seconds will be what I try next time.
This one was edited in Photoshop and the brightness was decreased and the contrast was increased to get the blacks black.

M.Hinch

Camera set to shutter priority. Set it to (BULB). Which will let you click once to open shutter and once again to close shutter. Open shutter just prior to burst then count, one one thousand, two two thousand, three three thousand, click to close shutter. Preview shot, to see if you may have to leave shutter open longer. I use camera on a tripod, telephoto lense, take VR off, as I find it creates noise searching for noise. I also use a wireless remote, to help eliminate camera movement. ISO set to 50, or 100 will do also.

Michael

I set mine to two seconds and used the 2 sec delay since I do not have a remote shutter release yet. The fireworks were going off constantly for 15 minutes so I just pushed the button waited 2 seconds while it counted down and then two seconds for the exposure and then did it all over again. I shot 160 shots during the fireworks. you con look at the first ones and adjust the aperture to get the exposure correct. You get consistent exposures this way.