Need advice buying older Nikon lenses

thegaffney

I want to buy a 24 2.8 for doing night photos, and maybe even use it for my automotive photography if the quality is good.

I don't mind if its manual focus, and I don't mind having to figure out the exposure myself.

So the question is, which one of the models of the 24 2.8 would be OK for me?

I see the AF-D lenses are a bit more pricy than the non-D lens, would I need the D part?

Like I was looking at this one and it seems nice? And its under $200 so I like that about it too.
Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 8.00.21 AM.png
But then there are older ones for about $150

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 8.04.13 AM.png

and A sigma one for even less than that

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 8.02.46 AM.png

If the difference in the Nikon ones is only the advantages of the autofocus or metering Id rater get the cheaper one since I would be using it manually all the time.

Does anyone know about the sigma one?

480sparky

The "D" designation merely denotes the fact that the lens transmits the focus Distance of the lens to the camera. Mostly, for TTL speedlight use. Optically, they are the same design as the non-D version. The 24mm you show is not a D lens.

I have no experience with a 24 Ai or pre-Ai.

I do, however, have the 28mm version of the Siggy, and I can say it's much better than my Nikkor 28mm. But then again, the Nikkor 28mm is known to be a dog. The 24mm Nikkor would be much better, so it may be a close race between the Nikkon and the Siggy when you're on the 24mm track.

hrstrat57

The 24 2.8 D AF is a fine choice.

You need Ai or Ais manual Nikkor glass.

I think the price will be pretty close the Nikkor 24 F/2.8 Ai and Ais lenses command a pretty good price.

KEH is a good place to start to figure out market prices......

I am hunting for a Nikkor 24 F/2.8 Ai presently as well (at the right price)

Good luck!

https://www.keh.com/search/list?m=1&mnt[]=67&mnt[]=65&mnt[]=69&fl[]=24mm&mnt[]=66

Just select 24MM AF, AF D, Ai and Ais for candidates to buy

dmc

I don't know if you got the answer you were looking for, but at the risk of duplication may I say the following:

The 24/2.8 D will work perfectly with your D7000, giving you full AF and matrix metering.

The 24/2.8 ai-s lens will give you full metering in A or M but will be manual focus. You may use the electronic rangefinder for focus confirmation. If you input the focal length and max f-stop into the non-CPU lens data menu, the camera will store focal length and f-stop used in the image exif.

The Sigma lens you show is manual focus, so should work the same as the ai-s Nikkor.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

SkvLTD

Sigma I can vouch for being excellent, especially for the money. Else, I'd get something like a 20mm since the 24 end exists on kits and pro zooms and you basically have just that already. You'll only really get marginal if any difference in quality out of the same exact prime as the beginning of your zoom.

What can't your pro Sigma do that you're thinking the prime will be able to?