Clicking pictures on the D5300

dude1709

I recently purchased a D5300 and taken it for a motor race. However, I am unable to take multiple shots of fast moving objects. I tried moving the dial to sports mode, but no help. Being a newbie I avoided messing with any other settings. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the time between the click and release? Currently it takes close to 3-4 secs from the moment i hit the click button to the moment the object is captured. I am using a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm VR lens. Let me know if there is more information i need to post.

thanks in advance!

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,ime not familiar with your camera but does it have a continuous mode as well as single for taking pictures and have you set it.

nickt

I don't have the camera, but I will speak generally. Make sure you are in continuous high mode. You should be able to hold shutter down and rapid fire. Make sure you are not using flash. Don't use Auto mode, rather S, A, or P. Realize that if you did get some fast burst shots, things may then slow down as pics are written to card. Make sure there is enough light for normal shutter speeds. If there is a lot of action or low light, your camera may be struggling to focus. As a quick test, switch your LENS to manual focus and see if you can rapid fire, this will eliminate any focusing delay. If switching the lens to manual lets you rapid fire, tell us more about your focus settings and maybe we can suggest a better mode. Looking for settings like af-a, af-s, af-c, and point selection mode. Looks like these settings are talked about on pages 51-53 of the pdf manual. Check the manual to get familiar with terms and let us know how you are set.

Yormalda

I recently purchased a D5300 and taken it for a motor race. However, I am unable to take multiple shots of fast moving objects. I tried moving the dial to sports mode, but no help. Being a newbie I avoided messing with any other settings. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the time between the click and release? Currently it takes close to 3-4 secs from the moment i hit the click button to the moment the object is captured. I am using a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm VR lens. Let me know if there is more information i need to post.

thanks in advance!

Hi dude709
I am a newbie to this forum & my d5300, having great fun playing & learning!
I have managed to use multiple shooting mode, it works very well.
Use the fastest, not biggest SD card you can afford, it does make a huge difference to time taken saving to card!
I found that if you select sports mode it only sets camera for shutter, aperture etc. to select multiple shoots you will need to find button 21 in getting to know your camera, (page1), when selected you will be give choice of shutter options, select either low multiple or high multiple, then have FUN!
To return to single shot use #21 & change back or use delayed, remote.
Hope this helps?

Last edited:

CLT Buckeye

Currently it takes close to 3-4 secs from the moment i hit the click button to the moment the object is captured.
Is it 3-4 secs between pressing the shutter and the image appearing on your LCD, or 3-4 secs between taking a picture and being able to take the next one? I think you mean the former. If that's the case, first question: Are you prefocusing? That is where you depress the shutter halfway until the AF locks. From there, the only thing slowing down your picture taking is your shutter speed. So, try this: Switch to "S" (shutter priority) mode and dial it in to something fast, e.g., 1/1000 or faster. Then, frame your shot, prefocus as described above, and when you're ready to take the shot, fully depress the shutter. You should get a picture in an instant. I'd guess you're not prefocusing, so when you think you're taking the picture, you're actually focusing and taking the picture, and may be losing the shot you're trying to take.

Yormalda

thanks in advance!

Hi Again,

Regarding the 3-4 secs taken between the moment you click button to moment the object is captured.
I had same problem when I first started using camera, I started off using SD card from old camera which was only class 4, when new card was used, Sandisk Extreme class 10 the time taken between button click & capture was reduced to almost immediate.

Hope this helps!