Best Buy Ups it's Photography Game!

Pretzel

Aside from carrying most of the common consumer level of bodies and lenses AND being willing to price match with any well known online competitor (including Amazon), Best Buy is rolling out a "Camera Experience Shop". (At least, the email they sent me as a highly valued camera customer says they are) ;)

What's the difference over having a bunch of bodies strapped to security cables that go off if you try to hold the camera up to your eye?

A LOT! The email says they're expanding their product offering, so at any time you can find more than 100 top-rated DSLR camera bodies and lenses, including pro-grade offerings. They're also offering "hands-on" experience, trying out different lenses on different bodies to see the results before you buy.

In addition, they've partnered with Canon, Nikon and Sony to ensure they have "product experts" on hand (think Apple Experience or Samsung Experience, but in the camera section) to answer questions, make recommendations, or even teach FREE digital photography workshops with basic training in portraits, close-ups and action shots (basically the basics).

It's a new program, so hasn't rolled out to all of their stores/markets yet, but I'm liking the sound of this expansion into the photography world! I know we always buy our cell phones, etc. from our local store simply because the people are friendly, and often quite a bit more knowledgeable about their products than other places. Add "hands-on" to the mix, and it's a win! (ESPECIALLY when they price match!)

Here's the LINK they emailed me, and I found from their main site as well, searching for "Camera Experience Shop".

I don't know about you guys, but this has me excited enough to share the info! It's not like having an Adorama or B&H in my neighborhood, but it's getting closer. :cool:

Whiskeyman

This last year, a BB I visited while traveling added a pro photographer to their sales staff, and that was light years ahead of what I usually experience at BB. However they were really discouraged by the hours and their clientelle. I was discouraged by their lack of in-depth knowledge of some specific equipment they stocked; in fact they were just plain misinforming some people on some issues.

I'll believe BB is in the game when I see lots of trained photography sales people, as well as enhanced stock of not only cameras and lenses, but also photo accessories. They'll have a long way to go to meet the level of service of a specialty camera/photography store. If they can get most of the way there, though, it will be great, especially for those who rarely get to step into a retail photography business.

I do wish them great success in this, although my biggest fear is that they'll drive some shops out of business and then abandon this operation later.

WM

I have bought many things at BestBuy and have always been happy with the service. My first Nikon was a D3100 that I bought there. Focus was a major problem and everyone was telling me it was my fault. I finally took it back that they sent it off for service. It came back even worse. Not only was the focus problem not fixed the color was now totally screwed up. I carried it back to BestBuy and even though it was much past the 30 days the salesperson walked over to the camera section and picked up a new camera in the box and opened it and handed me the camera out of there. She did not have to talk to anyone or ask permission. That D3100 worked great all the way up to the point where I dropped it and shattered the case. I would have bought the replacement at BestBuy but they did not offer the D5100 at that time.

Moab Man

I like the idea as there is only one camera shop anywhere close. If it were to go away then I'm up a creek without a paddle. For that reason I only do my purchases through them, but good to know there is a back up.

Fred Kingston

Around here, BB is only a source of last resort... You have to endure teenagers pitching extended warrantees on everything from a $2 battery to a $1,000 TV... They're a poster child for their impending bankruptcy...

Pretzel

I have bought many things at BestBuy and have always been happy with the service. My first Nikon was a D3100 that I bought there. Focus was a major problem and everyone was telling me it was my fault. I finally took it back that they sent it off for service. It came back even worse. Not only was the focus problem not fixed the color was now totally screwed up. I carried it back to BestBuy and even though it was much past the 30 days the salesperson walked over to the camera section and picked up a new camera in the box and opened it and handed me the camera out of there. She did not have to talk to anyone or ask permission. That D3100 worked great all the way up to the point where I dropped it and shattered the case. I would have bought the replacement at BestBuy but they did not offer the D5100 at that time.

That's the kind of experience I always get at my local Best Buy. Of course, I give my business to only one of the Best Buy's in my area because of that experience. There is one on the opposite side of town that does more business, carries more stock, etc., but the service there.... well, it sucks, so they don't get my business, even if they have what I want. I go to where the service and knowledge is good, have them sell me the item and reserve it at the other store, then just pick it up. :D

Supposedly, the other store has made a lot of changes since I complained, but I haven't given them a chance since then. Just the kind of guy I am. I know when I've traveled, though, that the folks at every other one I've stopped in to have been friendly and helpful. I've even hired a couple of folks away from Best Buy... ;)

Pretzel

Around here, BB is only a source of last resort... You have to endure teenagers pitching extended warrantees on everything from a $2 battery to a $1,000 TV... They're a poster child for their impending bankruptcy...

The best buys here have poor selection and no salesmen, let alone knowledgeable ones.

I kinda feel sorry for you guys... here, you can't walk into the store without getting at least 3 different offers of help, and most of 'em know what they're talking about. If they don't, they know who the store "expert" is, and they're quick to find 'em for ya. I've even had the manager help me out on a couple of different occasions. Coolest thing is they're all non-commissioned, so they're not overly aggressive like the old Circuit City folks used to be (before they went out of business). Maybe we're just lucky here in Oklahoma?

hrstrat57

My local BB is pretty solid too and always has high end Nikon gear on hand to play with.

My favorite LCS has a much better inventory with super knowledgeable techs who let you demo everything in store! There is alwAys a good selection of used Nikon gear too.

I feel pretty lucky!

skater

I'm never sure what to think of our BB. Sometimes it seems like the shelves are empty; other times it's fine. I wish they'd open a camera shop in ours; all of the local camera shops are long gone already.

AC016

I have far to many other options here in Montreal to subject myself to a BestBuy. Sounds good and all, but i would rather shop at a specialty store, like Camtec or Lozeau or Gosselin. All three stores will give you a hands on experience. Simons will let go outside to test a lens. I can see it at a good thing for small towns, but in a city like mine, there is no benefit.

Pretzel

Things just keep getting better here in our area. Not only was one of our Best Buy locations chosen to have the new "Camera Experience", we also got a new larger local camera shop, Bedford's (Camera Shop, Digital Cameras, Professional Photographic Equipment, Photography Store ? Bedford Camera & Video). Not only do they have a website so I can browse inventory before I go in, but they will price match any local retailer, plus online prices at Amazon, Adorama, B&H and more...

I'm starting to feel like I'm a winner! LOL

(don't bust my bubble, let me keep winning til tomorrow at least, ok???)

AC016

Things just keep getting better here in our area. Not only was one of our Best Buy locations chosen to have the new "Camera Experience", we also got a new larger local camera shop, Bedford's (Camera Shop, Digital Cameras, Professional Photographic Equipment, Photography Store ? Bedford Camera & Video). Not only do they have a website so I can browse inventory before I go in, but they will price match any local retailer, plus online prices at Amazon, Adorama, B&H and more...

I'm starting to feel like I'm a winner! LOL

(don't bust my bubble, let me keep winning til tomorrow at least, ok???)

200.gif

cbay

Never ordered from them until recently when i purchased the D7000 kit. It did not include the camera case or memory card so i contacted them. They called me that night and offered me a gift card in the amount of the items. Totaled 80 dollars.
Then they send me a 10 dollar reward certificate. So i call them to purchase a lowepro flipside 400, which they have for 199. BH has it for 109 so they price match, take the reward and gift card and i get the backpack for 16 dollars and change!!!
Not bad service at all. Pretty impressed.