Tamron 70-300 vc

donegalphotographer

Has anyone any experience of this lens, i have a d5100 with sigma 17-50 2.8 and im going on a family holiday to longleet safari Park in may and require a longer lens than my sigma I was initially looking at the Nikon 55-200 but after researching decided the tamron would be better for faster focusing etc, what would guys recommend, my maximum budget is £300 and I will be buying online so I get delivery to Ireland

Many thanks

Moab Man

I have this lens and love it. The VC in my opinion is better than Nikon VR. I also love the lens hood, it's rather long and really helps to keep rain off the glass. Focus speed is good on my D7100. In a little bit I will post up shots from today's downhill ski racing.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Here is the link below to my photos from today. We are still buried in haze, smog, a cloud layer just above the ground, and a cloud layer up on the mountains. All-in-all... virtually no light seems to make it down to the planet in our neck of the woods. However, that did not stop Moab Lady and myself from going out to shoot. We decided to head up to Snowbasin Ski Resort to see what we could find. We scored as there was the USSA Intermountain Division ski competition going on. As I said, the conditions were terrible with no light to really create contrast, but that's what editing is for I guess. Wished the images could have been sharper but when you're shooting through the clouds you take what you can get. Add to it we were shooting from the bottom of the mountain. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with how it they came out.

And just to be sure we are talking about the same lens, this is the one I have:
http://www.adorama.com/TM70300VUNK.html

http://nikonites.com/project-365-an...b-man-2015-photo-collection-3.html#post402988

Rick M

Nice work Moab! I've shot the 3 most popular sub $1k versions (including the Nikon) and the Tamron VC is without a doubt the best and comes in at about $450?

Last edited:

Moab Man

Nice work Moab! I've shot the 3 most popular sub $1k versions (including the Nikon) and the Tamron VC is without a doubt the best and comes in at about $450?

These photos could have been so much better if I wasn't shooting through haze with no light for contrast. However, I am happy with the results.

What would be your dream lens in this range that breaks the $1000 barrier?

Rick M

These photos could have been so much better if I wasn't shooting through haze with no light for contrast. However, I am happy with the results.

What would be your dream lens in this range that breaks the $1000 barrier?

The problem is that range isn't exactly covered in high end glass at a reasonable price. If you want to spend $1500, the Nikon 70-200 f4 is absolutely fantastic (but maxes at 200mm). From there you have the new 80-400 VR, but it is not stellar or move up to the 200-400 f4 Nikon. If I was still shooting Nikon, I'd go for the new Sigma 120-300 2.8, but now we are over $3k. This is one of the reasons I went with the new Oly pro series. My 40-150 pro 2.8 is 80-300 2.8 (5.6) on my EM-1 body for $1500.

The answer would definitely be the new Sigma 120-300 2.8, based only on what I have seen and experienced with their new Art/Sports series lenses.

donegalphotographer

Thanks to all the comments and moab them ski photos are great, I think I'm making the right choice then, hopefully I will be ordering the tamron this evening I'm getting it for £239 for a real bargain, hopefully my skills shine through when we head to the safari Park in may I have a few months to practice this will be my first time properly shooting wildlife so I'm really excited, I'm mainly a landscape photographer as seen on my Flickr but this lens will also be great for the other passion in my life ad that's car drifting I shoot alot of them events. Thanks once again

Rick M

Thanks to all the comments and moab them ski photos are great, I think I'm making the right choice then, hopefully I will be ordering the tamron this evening I'm getting it for £239 for a real bargain, hopefully my skills shine through when we head to the safari Park in may I have a few months to practice this will be my first time properly shooting wildlife so I'm really excited, I'm mainly a landscape photographer as seen on my Flickr but this lens will also be great for the other passion in my life ad that's car drifting I shoot alot of them events. Thanks once again

Great! just make sure you get the newer VC version!