First pic with D40

Tigertail

Hi, couldn't wait to get out today and try out my new aquisition! I'm very lucky to be 5 mins away from the beach even if it is not a very exciting one!

Hope I have done this right as I'm a bit of a computer numpty!:D

EXIF 1/640s, f6.3, iso 200.

Beach huts.jpg

fotojack

Yes, as Pete said.....well done. I like the perspective, too. Two things come to mind, though. It seems a little tilted to the right, so it's not exactly horizontal. Second.....what lens did you use that you had to shoot at 1/640th? Why so fast?

Tigertail

Yes, as Pete said.....well done. I like the perspective, too. Two things come to mind, though. It seems a little tilted to the right, so it's not exactly horizontal. Second.....what lens did you use that you had to shoot at 1/640th? Why so fast?

Thanks for comments Pete, Jack & Bill.

Hmmm, I straightened it because the sides of the huts were leaning to the left so I don't know which is right now!

I only have one lens so far AF-S 18-55mm and have lots to learn about it! I was using manual settings, it was pretty bright and showed correct exposure so I probably had something set wrong! Any suggestions?

Heather

Last edited:

Vermontster

Hi, couldn't wait to get out today and try out my new aquisition! I'm very lucky to be 5 mins away from the beach even if it is not a very exciting one!
QUOTE]

Well Heather, you have an artistic eye. This is a good shot. As PavementPilot said, the clouds are to die for. If Marcel catches a glimpse of this, he may assist you in making the clouds "pop."

bluenoser

Banned
Hi, couldn't wait to get out today and try out my new aquisition! I'm very lucky to be 5 mins away from the beach even if it is not a very exciting one! Hope I have done this right as I'm a bit of a computer numpty!:D

Hi Heather. That is a classic looking D40 shot! Excellent results straight out of the camera requiring very little tweaking, very punchy colours, sharp - quite pleasing. You are indeed lucky to live so close to a beach! :)

Two things come to mind, though. It seems a little tilted to the right, so it's not exactly horizontal.

Hmmm, I straightened it because the sides of the huts were leaning to the left so I don't know which is right now!
I'd say Jack is correct in his observation that the picture is a bit crooked but that yes, you'd still have some leaning - especially at the edges. This may be due to you having either the camera tilted up slightly (i.e. not perfectly parallel with the ground) and/or distortion being introduced by the lens (also quite likely - especially in lower cost, short focal length lenses).

Second.....what lens did you use that you had to shoot at 1/640th? Why so fast?

I only have one lens so far AF-S 18-55mm and have lots to learn about it! I was using manual settings, it was pretty bright and showed correct exposure so I probably had something set wrong! Any suggestions?
The exposure is actually quite good - a nice looking histogram. Your ISO was already at base 200 so you're left with shutter speed and aperture. You could try an aperture setting of f/8 or f/11 which cut the amount of light hitting the sensor. However also slowing the shutter speed much more would introduce more light as the shutter stays open longer. There are of course various types of filters which will cut the light entering the sensor too (ND or even CP filters) but frankly your settings did a great job! :)

ISO 200 caused the shutter speed to be that fast. Drop the ISO to 100 and the SS becomes 1/320

ISO 200 is the lowest ISO setting on the D40

Steve

Well Done Heather I am impressed, ( see I told you nikon was the best) ... I think you have done a good job on this image as I know this really is your first go with a DSLR, and I expect you tried it in fully
Manual as well..

Steve

ohkphoto

Snow White
I like this shot very much, Heather. Like the others have said, you have a good eye. I would align the horizon rather than worrying about the buildings being even, at least in this case. Now lets see some more! Best thing you can do is take pics as much as possible, and have fun doing it!

Tigertail

Thanks very much everyone for your comments...all very encouraging!

I have been on holiday for the last 10 days with no internet so have only just seen all of these, and will now have to get busy and put some more on!

Heather