Sony's New Pro A9 To Be Announced in February!

J-see

50Mpix. At this rate by the end of the year the minimum standard is going to be 36.

It's not that I mind an increase but the Mpix competition doesn't seem to originate in consumer demands. Not being Sony specific in this, it does make me wonder if it is the cheaper/easier way manufacturers try to outshine the rest. Or maybe it is the consumer and more Mpix simply sells better.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Personally I like 24 mp. I don't want to have to provide more storage space, bigger Memory Cards, and then wait forever for the files to download....or upload as the case may be. But the improvement in image may make me change my mind. [MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION]

J-see

Personally I like 24 mp. I don't want to have to provide more storage space, bigger Memory Cards, and then wait forever for the files to download....or upload as the case may be. But the improvement in image may make me change my mind. @J-see

More megapixels for the same shot has plenty an advantage if more is at the same time better quality. Storage size increases but I'd not mind that too much. Their sensors are pretty darn good, I experience that daily and some of their lenses perform exceptionally well if I compare with my averages.

But of all the things on my preference list, megapixels isn't on top.

Last edited:

Rick M

Sony has done an excellent job with dense sensors. They make a 20 Mp Cx senor with better ISO performance than the 16 Mp in the Nikon 1 Cx. That would be about 60 Mp Fx!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

[MENTION=4399]Rick M[/MENTION], and [MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION] - I can't figure out how Sony can produce better sensors than Nikon or Canon? I mean cameras haven't really been the bread and butter of Sony for years. Nikon and Canon on the other hand have been in the camera business for years and it has been their bread and butter. Why?

J-see

@Rick M, and @J-see - I can't figure out how Sony can produce better sensors than Nikon or Canon? I mean cameras haven't really been the bread and butter of Sony for years. Nikon and Canon on the other hand have been in the camera business for years and it has been their bread and butter. Why?

I wouldn't know either. It's the same with Canon. It used to be THE company in the past but when I look at their cams purely what they technically deliver, I can't say they are still impressive.

Maybe they all had it too easy for too many years and for too long expected that to last forever.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I wouldn't know either. It's the same with Canon. It used to be THE company in the past but when I look at their cams purely what they technically deliver, I can't say they are still impressive.

Maybe they had it too easy for too many years and for too long expected that to last forever.

Well....in their defense, they did handle the tranistion from film to digital very well, unlike Kodak....I used to live near Rochester, NY, where Kodaks HQ is. They are a shell of what they used to be. Lots and lots of layoffs. The name is the only thing left. Not a good transition for them.

J-see

Well....in their defense, they did handle the tranistion from film to digital very well, unlike Kodak....I used to live near Rochester, NY, where Kodaks HQ is. They are a shell of what they used to be. Lots and lots of layoffs. The name is the only thing left. Not a good transition for them.

Maybe it is part of the digital era. Many dinosaurs of the past adjust slower to change than new who haven't known any differently. Past experience can easily become a disadvantage if it gets you stuck for too long in a "do as we used to do" mindset.

J-see

I thought SONY made sensors for Nikon. And that means Nikon will soon have a 50MP camera.

They probably will but it's not a healthy strategy to be fully dependent upon another company. Certainly not when the other is competing in the same market. If things go bad, we could very well be shooting Sony's Nikon in the future.

Not that it would make much difference to me.

TedG954

If things go bad, we could very well be shooting Sony's Nikon in the future.

It the consumer is provided with a superior product, why would that be bad? Survival of the Fittest. Dog-Eat-Dog. It's called Capitalism and that's why technology moves forward.

J-see

It the consumer is provided with a superior product, why would that be bad? Survival of the Fittest. Dog-Eat-Dog. It's called Capitalism and that's why technology moves forward.

For us it wouldn't be bad but from their perspective, it could be a slow suicide.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I don't know if you guys remember, but a week or 2 ago, I posted about how the major camera makers like Nikon and Canon have been losing ground to smartphone users. They have lost a lot of sales lately. I'm thinking there may be a merger coming sooner than we think.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I think a merger would be more because of slower demand for the product. Sony is much larger than Nikon and it would be more of an aquisition than a merger. I think Sony has the base to support Nikon, but they would continue to use Nikon's name.

J-see

Since the sensor is the only part that counts in a cam, one could say I'm already shooting Sony. Even if they all go down, there's a that large used market, it'll be good for the rest of my days.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Since the sensor is the only part that counts in a cam, one could say I'm already shooting Sony. Even if they all go down, there's a that large used market, it'll be good for the rest of my days.
no doubt....Nikon's brand will survive.....heck with Sony supplying Nikon's sensors, they're already collaborating. I wonder if I should buy some Sony stock, or Nikon stock?

Rick M

From what I have read, Sony's sensor division is probably bigger than all of Nikon. They have the $$$ for R&D and I'm sure Nikon pays a premium. Sony has the deepest pockets of the the 3 and Canon is rumored to begin using Sony sensors also, they are probably tired of being left in the dust in the sensor area.

Sony is about to take the mirrorless world by storm. Once they have significant market share, they could start retaining the best/latest for their own models. At the moment, Nikon is paying their bills. They are already significant shareholders in Olympus and now have the best in body stabilization tech in their upcoming bodies, cloned from the Olympus EM-1. This 5 axis stabilization is superior to Nikon's VR and probably makes for more efficient lens manufacturing. I could see them picking up the Nikon brand down the road. If that happened, Canon may find themselves in a very uncomfortable #2 position.