I need help to choose between VELBON SHERPA 450R and VELBON SHERPA 4370D

Cocolino_pz

Hello,

I've bought my first DSLR (D3300 + AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II) the last month and now I need to choose a tripod for it. After a few days of investigation my attention got into 2 Velbon models:

VELBON SHERPA 450R and VELBON SHERPA 4370D

What do you think? Which one is better. They both have almost the same price.

edit: Oops, I think that my thread is not at the right section. :eek: Could you please move it?

Last edited:

SteveH

The 450R looks like the better of the two, but I don't know what Velbon are like as a manufacturer. One bit of advice I would give, is maybe look for a tripod & head separately - I bought a tripod with 3-way head for just a bit more than you are looking at here, and while it is good and stable etc, the 3-way heads aren't as quick and easy to use, and I wish I had got a ball head instead.

Also, pay close attention to the maximum load the tripods can take, and then take into account what lenses you plan to use in the future - Consider that something like the Nikkor 70-200 VRII can be too heavy for a lot of tripods, even with no camera attached!

Cocolino_pz

Hi SteveH,

Thanks for posting! I know it's better to choose the tripod and the head separately but unfortunately I'm on a tight budget and that's the highest price range I can afford now. I'm still learning how to shoot and I don't plan buying any new lenses in the near future but who knows. :) It's good to buy heavier tripod for sure!

I've found multiple reviews for 450R and almost nothing for 4370D. It looks like the second one is much lighter (2,25 kg vs. 1,565 kg) and 7 cm shorter. They can take almost the same amount of gears (4 kg vs 3,5 kg)... I'm considering it for 2 main reasons: the weight and the much longer warranty it comes with (1 year for the 450R and 5 for the 4370D).

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe you can contact Velbon and ask?

I have an older Velbon tripod that I use with my lighter lenses. It wasn't expensive (@ $50). When I searched for a newer model, I selected one with an entirely different model number; however, the specs were practically identical. When put side by side, they look and function the same so it is possible the newer model is a replacement for an older one. Like I said, see if there is any way you can contact Velbon and ask.

fotojack

I've bought 4370D :)

Good choice. FYI, the 3 way head that's on there can be replaced with other heads. I'd like to recommend this one, and it won't break the bank:

JT1_4860.jpg