To paint or not to paint

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm doing work with layers and paint effects and would like to have opinions different than mine about this.
Same shot, one with brush effect.

MCC_2560_HDR Painted.jpg

MCC_2560_straight.jpg

Rick M

I like the brush effect, however it does not appear to do as much with the clouds as the rest of the image. Nice shot by the way!

Vermontster

For what it's worth, the original shot is so good that its hard to say I really like the painted one. Maybe if you take an ugly shot (if you are even able to take an ugly shot), I could probably appreciate the paint brush effect more :-0 Just say'n

fotojack

Yeah, I have to agree with Chris. Hard to tell from the two, really. Both nice shots in their own right. Not knowing which one is "painted", I'm leaning more towards the first shot.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For what it's worth, the original shot is so good that its hard to say I really like the painted one. Maybe if you take an ugly shot (if you are even able to take an ugly shot), I could probably appreciate the paint brush effect more :-0 Just say'n

Gee thanks Chris, I'm blushing now. If only you'd have a look at my originals, you'd see that I'm quite able to take an ugly shot...
by the way, the original shot is an HDR. I had forgotten to write that. The one painted (filter, dry brush) is the one where the trees are not as sharp and there seem to be more leaves on them.
Thanks for your feedback Chris and Jack and Rick.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok, this is one of the 3 original shots the HDR was done from. As you can see, I do quite a bit of post processing to most of my images.
Since I worked for a color lab in another life, I very much enjoy all the bells and whistles that photoshop gives me while not being in the total darkness.

original unretouched.jpg

Vermontster

Ok, this is one of the 3 original shots the HDR was done from. As you can see, I do quite a bit of post processing to most of my images.
Since I worked for a color lab in another life, I very much enjoy all the bells and whistles that photoshop gives me while not being in the total darkness.

QUOTE]

I love PS as well. I use about 0.25% of the program, but I'm learning every day. Your PP makes a world of difference in your shots! As recommended by you, Helene, Jen and others, I have been using Photomatix thlately and really like the program. Yesterday's B&W and today's post are both PP'd using Photomatix.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I have to agree with everyone else that the first one is better. I suspected it to be HDR. I would have that that the lightest part of the sky would not look as blown out. In all my HDR trials (and errors) I've found that I need to take at least 5, and sometimes even 9 shots to make sure I have the shadows and highlights. I end up using 3 or 4 that I pick from the batch.

Very nice shot, Marcel!

Vermontster

In all my HDR trials (and errors) I've found that I need to take at least 5, and sometimes even 9 shots to make sure I have the shadows and highlights. I end up using 3 or 4 that I pick from the batch. QUOTE]

Learned something new again! I went from shooting a 7 bracket shot back to a 3 bracket with a full stop on either side. Didn't seem like the 7 came out well. I never thought about picking the best individuals out of the batch.

I love this site!!!