SB-700 and D60

transamgirlss

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum..and i found out about Nikonites on facebook..and i was having a bit of a problem.

I'm kinda new to the DSLR world..but i'm pretty familiar with a few things. I just bought a SB-700 as i wanted to pursue studio portrait photography. I could only afford to buy one..and i was wondering..what is the best way to work around indoor portrait photography with just one speedlight? I will eventually work my way around getting another one, but i just want some advice for now!

fotojack

One thing I can tell you to get is a flash umbrella and a stand for your SB-700. And this goes without saying.............read that SB-700 manual front to back! :) And yes, what PP said.......there's lots of info on Youtube about flash photography.

Welcome to Nikonites. :) If you could fill out more of your profile with what you're working with.......camera, lenses, flash, etc., it helps us to better help you with any questions you may have. And where you're from is always nice to know, too. :)

transamgirlss

Most of the videos on youtube require more then just one speedlight..i can't afford to buy a stand or a cord for my flash, since my SB700 can't be used wirelessely on my camera. I actually read the whole manual, alot of the stuff confuses me a bit! And I am currently just using the kit lens that came with the D60.

fotojack

Excellent links, James. This is sure to come in handy for a lot of people with just one flash. Having said that, some Nikons don't have Commander Mode built in, necesesitating the need for a cable or wireless trigger. However, the concepts are what's important in those tutorials. I work with just one flash and umbrella setup. I have a home made stand for the umbrella, but it's time to step it up and get myself a stand for it! lol :)

Curt

I will recommend using as much natual light as possible (windows, etc.) use the Speedlight to fill and enhance your subject.