DX or FX? Inquiring minds want to know.

Horoscope Fish

The Zack Arias video again, right? All I can say is I recently made the switch (from DX to FX) after having seen this video numerous times.

Yes, I'm keeping my DX camera body but in the overall, and all juvenile cracks about my penis aside, I could not be happier with my FX body.

Michael J.

Loved to watch. I like the B/W VDO and the things he is pointing out. I keep my way to catch what I see and who to compose it to show my friends what I felt when I captured it. I am trying to find that way.

J-see

I can't say I regret going FX even with the price card attached. Sure sensor size might matter less at some levels but when it comes to lens performance alone, that made a lot of difference.

PapaST

I watched it awhile ago when someone first posted it. He made some good points. After reading Sparky's comments I couldn't watch it again without the music bothering me. ;)

Woodyg3

Contributor
Eons ago, when I took photography classes in college, there were those few guys who wouldn't take any photo seriously unless it was taken with an 8x10 view camera. I would have enjoyed having a big old view camera if I could have afforded it, but my paying gig was sports photography, so I needed a 35mm SLR.

The differences are much smaller between DX and FX, but it's still a matter of picking the tool that works best for the work you do.

The video is amusing, annoying, somewhat informative, and just adds fuel to the fire. :)

J-see

It's a funny vid but not a very solid argument.

When I got the Macbook I had the choice between a 13 inch and a 15 inch screen. We could also say the difference is neglectable when there are 27 inch screens or larger on the market but nevertheless, the 13 inch just didn't cut it for what I wanted do.

AC016

Interesting that this subject came back up. I was just reading a post elsewhere in response to someone talking about the new Leica Q and how Fuji should go the same way. Here is someones response to that:

""Full Frame" is 8X10" or 5X7" sheets of film!...or is it 6X12cm, 6X9cm, 6X7cm, 6X6cm?...or why should 24X36mm be called 'Full Frame'? The Army Tech manuals that I was issued when I was an enlisted Photographer in school, still called 35mm film 'Sub-Miniature' roll film in a cassette and stated that it was absolutely NOT of high enough quality for professional work. I still carried a 35mm camera with me for slides and many of those slides easily rivaled whan I was creating on 'medium format' films, but even when I left the Army and started my own photo business, only photojournalists (who basically printed in half tones on toilet paper), 'weekend warriors', 'uncle bob's' and 'mom-tographers' were using 35mm film seriously at all.

The negs couldn't be easily retouched so 'Full Frame' in the professional world was 6X7cm or 6X6cm. Eventually film and vari-focal lenses got much better and 35mm started to supplant 'medium format' as acceptable for 'professional' use.

Today some folks hold an almost slavish worship of the 'sub-miniature' format of 24X36mm and they actually call it 'Full Frame' because it happens to be what they learned on. It holds no magic formula that will make your photographs better any more than the more convenient 6X6cm TLRs did over the 5X7in 'Press Camera.'

Consider this...for those of us shooting only Fujis, APS-C IS 'full frame.' All of my lenses (except the 9cm Elmar) were designed specifically for Fuji's version of the APS-C format. A 56/1.2 or 35/1.4 may not offer the same shallow DOF and bokeh that lenses in their equivalent angles of view would offer on a larger sensor size, but f/1.2 offers me the same EV on an 8X10" view camera (of such fast glass existed for a view camera) as it does on my Fuji APS-C cameras and the shallow DOF and bokeh that my lenses offer me on this size sensor provides me just as much flexibility as anything I had with slower, grainy film on my Hasselblads, Rolleis, Mamiyas, Minoltas, Nikons, Kodaks, Ikons, Leicas, etc.... The 24X36mm format is only 'FF' for lenses that were designed for it. It is no panacea to quality photography.

"FULL FRAME" is whatever sensor size your particular lenses were designed for.

I feed and clothe myself and family exclusively with Fuji cameras and mostly Fuji glass. For me, 'Full Frame" is 23.6x15.6mm."
This response can be found and fujix-forum.com.

"Full Frame" was a term coined by the marketing teams of Canon and Nikon. FF cameras are around simply because it was the most logical step for Canon/Nikon to take from their 35mm film cameras. There are so many other formats and FF is just one of them, but not the "be all, end all".

Here is my full frame camera:
dscf3094.jpg

Yes, it is a 35mm film camera and yes, it is "Full Frame". Yippee for me.

It's about time we stop this silly debate. Content is king anyhow.

WayneF

The main point in Zack' definitions in the video clearly seemed to be him pointing out that a 2x film size was always in fact significant, but "only" 1.5x size was not (to him now). I think the degree of that difference might be debatable. When limited, every little bit helps. :)

I did 35mm darkroom work for years, much of it Nikon F work with Nikkor lenses, usually striving for finest grain instead of fastest speed, and I always felt very limited by enlargements to 8x10 inch prints. Just how life was... 35 mm size simply did not have the quality for much enlargement, not like even medium film had. Even the cheapest Brownie box cameras used medium film, and certainly wedding photogs did (they hoped to sell prints). That medium film is roughly 2x larger than 35mm.

Users today don't print much (if at all in some cases). Video screens only show tiny images (resampled smaller to at most about 2 megapixels size). 900x600 pixels will print wallet size. 1920x1080 pixels would print about 6x4 inches at 300 dpi. But large prints on paper need large images, and any cropping certainly bites into that. Including DX cropping.

Enlargement is affected by BOTH pixels and sensor size in mm. The original mm (the original image size created by the lens) is what needs the enlargement, pixels merely facilitate printing it. The lens resolution is WHAT we are enlarging (when enlarging DX 24 mm to about 200-250 mm print size). Enlargement directly reduces the lens resolution, proportionately in degree. We just don't create large prints very often anymore to realize this.

Regarding 1.5x, every little bit helps. :) But larger sensors are not needed on the video screen, or for web images.

Last edited: