Storing Camera in a Bag

pops1368

Hi,

I have what may seem like an obvious question, however, being new to the DSLR scene, everything is new and a question to me, so please go easy on me.

Basically, when I am storing my D5200 in a Lowepro Camera Bag, my question is, when I storing my camera in this bag, should I be removing the lens and storing the two separately, in the bag or can I leave the lens on the camera and??

Thanks in advance.

J-see

I don't know what bag you have but I use a smaller Lowerpro when going for a walk and have the cam upside down in it with the lens attached. It got room for two more lenses if I don't take wides along.

Just make sure you don't forget the put the cap on the lens.

pops1368

Cheers guys that actually is good to know and think I shall leave the lens on the body. J-see I have the Lower Nova 160 AW and keep my camera face down, so that the lens is facing upwards.

Thanks

J-see

Cheers guys that actually is good to know and think I shall leave the lens on the body. J-see I have the Lower Nova 160 AW and keep my camera face down, so that the lens is facing upwards.

Thanks

I think I have the same bag. It has three compartments, at least mine has, and I did bend those fluffy things that divide it so I can store the cam upside down and the bend parts cover the two side compartments. It's much easier to get the cam out with the lens down than the other way. But we each do as we prefer.

I personally think you should always have your main walk-around lens on the camera at all time so that if the need arises you can grab the camera and get a shot off fast. For that same reason I also leave my camera in program mode with auto ISO set to on. I can reset the camera and change the lens when I go to shoot the next time to whatever I need. Always have your camera ready to shoot at a moments notice. You never know when you might see that UFO land and the little green men beam out.

480sparky

I personally think you should always have your main walk-around lens on the camera at all time so that if the need arises you can grab the camera and get a shot off fast. For that same reason I also leave my camera in program mode with auto ISO set to on. I can reset the camera and change the lens when I go to shoot the next time to whatever I need. Always have your camera ready to shoot at a moments notice. You never know when you might see that UFO land and the little green men beam out.

And not only will you be ready to go, you'll know exactly what you need to change when you want to put the camera in some other mode. If you put the camera away differently every time, you'll need to spend more time getting set up when you pull it out next time.

And not only will you be ready to go, you'll know exactly what you need to change when you want to put the camera in some other mode. If you put the camera away differently every time, you'll need to spend more time getting set up when you pull it out next time.

I learned that lesson the hard way once when I was shooting Bracketed shots last. I went to use the camera several days later and wondered why my shots were underexposed and overexposed. I had shot several before I had a minute to look at them to discover the problem. Then it took a few minutes to discover what I had done wrong. Now I end and start each session the same way.

pops1368

Many thanks guys.

Don, thanks for all your advice, really makes sense. In time I will do something similar, however, as my D5200 is new to me I want to become comfortable with it so I will keep it in Auto for now.

Jon Rowlison

[Sorry... just noticed this thread was a month old.]

The only reason I can think of to store the body with lens OFF is if you are sharing that lens with multiple bodies and/or you switch lenses a lot and you know you aren't using that same lens next time you pull the body from the bag.

On the other side of the coin... every time you change a lens you run the risk of getting dust or other particles on either the interior of the lens or the interior of the camera (like the sensor.) Be sure you are careful of that. Unless you are keeping the camera for 20+ years and do a lot of lens swapping, you aren't likely going to be wearing out that f-mount bracket unless you swap lenses significantly more than most people do.

pops1368

Thanks Jon, I really appreciate your advice. As I'm just starting out its just the camera and the lens it came with. Eventually, once my confidence grows, that's when I'll start looking at other lens.

480sparky

[Sorry... just noticed this thread was a month old.]

The only reason I can think of to store the body with lens OFF is if you are sharing that lens with multiple bodies and/or you switch lenses a lot and you know you aren't using that same lens next time you pull the body from the bag.

On the other side of the coin... every time you change a lens you run the risk of getting dust or other particles on either the interior of the lens or the interior of the camera (like the sensor.) Be sure you are careful of that. Unless you are keeping the camera for 20+ years and do a lot of lens swapping, you aren't likely going to be wearing out that f-mount bracket unless you swap lenses significantly more than most people do.

Even if you mount a lens on a camera body the day you buy them and never remove the lens, you will still get dust into the camera. Lenses and cameras are not manufactured in a clean room and are not hermetically sealed before packaging. As soon as you focus or zoom a lens, air gets moved in the lens. Elements need to move in order to focus or zoom. Air is pulled in, and air gets pushed out. Air-borne dust will follow along for the ride. And air gets moved in and out of the mirror chamber as well, along with it's attendant dust. Some lenses are known for excessive 'eye blow', pushing lots of air out the viewfinder and into the user's eye. Eventually, that dust will be attracted to the sensor.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

When I purchased a D300 when they first came out, I also attended a Nikonians "Mastering Your D300" class. One of the best tips that I learned from the class was to reset or zero out the settings when storing it so that you always know what to expect when you next pick it up. To Don's point, I always keep my 24-70 on my D800 and used to keep my 17-55 when I had my D300.

When I purchased a D300 when they first came out, I also attended a Nikonians "Mastering Your D300" class. One of the best tips that I learned from the class was to reset or zero out the settings when storing it so that you always know what to expect when you next pick it up. To Don's point, I always keep my 24-70 on my D800 and used to keep my 17-55 when I had my D300.

This shot proves my point. It was shot with my drone though. Shot of the local high school where my wife teaches.

UFO.jpg