Lens compatability

Jonas Grumby

Hello,

I currently own a D2X and I'm thinking about buying a D5300.

I have the 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S ED lens, which I know will work with the D5300.

I also have the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF ED lens, and a 28-85mm f/3.5 AF lens. Will these also work 100% with the D5300? I know that they will physically fit but I'm concerned that the auto-focus might not work since they are AF and not AF-S lenses.

Thanks!

p.s. Assuming I buy the D5300 I will be selling the D2X and any accessories I have that are specific to it.

skene

Well if this is the AF-S 17-35mm F2.8... then I do not believe it would work. While the newer lenses are designated AF-S, it still would run on the AF motor on the bodies of the higher body cameras. The correct designation on lenses would be "G" lenses which do have the focus motor built in, vs any "D" or previous models.
D3S_6864-1200.jpg

Jonas Grumby

Thanks Don Kuykendall. I looked at the D7000 series but that's not what I wanted. I wanted a lightweight fun camera for trips and casual use. I think the D5300 is a great value considering the features it offers at that price point.

480sparky

The 17-35/2.8 is an AF-S lens........ the S standing for Silent Wave Motor. Meaning, it has a motor built into it. No body motor needed.

In fact, is has no screw-drive for AF. AF and AF-D lenses have that.