Auto ISO question

PavementPilot

When I bought my D3100 in Dec 2010, I set the ISO to 100. I have recently bought an SB-600. I wasnt sure if I wanted the ISO to adjust, so I tried it at a setting of max 1600 and shutter low limit of 1/15.

So the question is, should I be using auto ISO or locking it down.

I tried a few shots with the popup flash, and found the camera going the limit on ISO, but with the 600 mounted, it would usually keep it down to 400-800 with the same subject and ambient lighting.

fotojack

hmmm.......interesting article. Weird that it does that, eh. When I replied to your post, Dave, I was basing what I know on the D200. I guess that doesn't work like that on yours. Sorry about that. My bad.

Rick M

I prefer to disable the auto ISO altogether. When using flash I set the ISO and shoot in either program or aperature mode. To me this is a flaw, but a minor one. I would rather potentially miss a shot than have unpredictable results each time I use the flash.

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
I prefer to disable the auto ISO altogether. When using flash I set the ISO and shoot in either program or aperature mode. To me this is a flaw, but a minor one. I would rather potentially miss a shot than have unpredictable results each time I use the flash.

+1 - I do use auto-ISO in non-flash circumstances (and find it works very well) but I always disable it when using my SB-700 - the camera does weird and wacky things with flash and auto ISO.

ChrisM

I had an issue with the auto iso on mine when I first got it. I took some photos of my kids at the park and the iso was on auto and it chose really high iso levels. I've had mine off since then and have been setting it myself. I however rarely if ever use flash. All I have right now is the pop up flash and I hate it.

fotojack

Hey thanks, James, Yeah, I can't wait to get it. It's sure gonna come in handy for the wedding I have to shoot next month. Gotta pick up a stand next. :)

mitchb2

Hello, everyone. I'm brand new to photography and I'm confused. We bought a D3100 for Christmas. I've never used any manual controls before.

I'm reading the book "From Snapshots to Great Shots" which is dedicated to this specific camera. I'm trying to understand Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. I understand conceptually what they do and when to use one or the other. But last night I spent about 2 hours reading the book and playing with the camera. If I'm in A mode, and the flash is open, no matter what I set the aperture to the shutter stays at 1/60. Is this normal? And it also locks the ISO to Auto. If I close the flash, then the shutter speed changes as I point towards areas of different brightness, and I can set the ISO value.

I'm going to take a Saturday intro to DSLR class, but I was hoping to get some insight before then. I must be misunderstanding the fundamentals.

KWJams

Not sure if I am understanding this correctly, but when the flash is not used in "A" mode the camera's light meter is suggesting ball park settings to get an exposure.

Jeff's book on D5000's really opened my eyes.

PavementPilot

You have your ISO set to auto, and they have a different way of thinking when it comes to how it works. When using flash, set your ISO to 100 and auto to off. I only use auto ISO when I am in constant changing light where it can change dramatically, and flash is off.

bluenoser

Banned
Hello, everyone. I'm brand new to photography and I'm confused. We bought a D3100 for Christmas. I've never used any manual controls before.

I'm reading the book "From Snapshots to Great Shots" which is dedicated to this specific camera. I'm trying to understand Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. I understand conceptually what they do and when to use one or the other. But last night I spent about 2 hours reading the book and playing with the camera. If I'm in A mode, and the flash is open, no matter what I set the aperture to the shutter stays at 1/60. Is this normal? And it also locks the ISO to Auto. If I close the flash, then the shutter speed changes as I point towards areas of different brightness, and I can set the ISO value.

I'm going to take a Saturday intro to DSLR class, but I was hoping to get some insight before then. I must be misunderstanding the fundamentals.

Yes the 1/60 is normal - it's the default value when not using M mode.

However, when using flash (or I should say *especially* when using flash) your best bet is to using M mode where you can adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO yourself. While I generally like auto ISO, using it with flash can lead to some goofy, quirky outcomes. Take control and use M (manual mode).

mitchb2

Thanks for the replies.

Part of my confusion has to do with the flash. I was experimenting in my family room last night and watching the relationship between aperture and shutter speed. But even when the exposure meter was right in the middle, the flash icon and question mark icon were flashing.

Of course I popped open the flash and took a shot, and it was completely overexposed.
So why was it telling me to use flash if the exposure meter was right where it's supposed to be without flash?

I think I'll eventually end up leaning towards M mode.
I did make more progress with A mode last night, when I realized that once you get the aperture to a certain size, the shutter speed does then change to balance out the exposure. So it did move away from 1/60 after a certain point.

Just-Clayton

thats ok. i have been shooting in auto ISO. wasnt even paying attention. kept setting my ISO from 100-400 not realizing it was in auto.thats why some of my shots were coming out and some not. duhhhhh!!!!

Rick M

Thanks for the replies.

Part of my confusion has to do with the flash. I was experimenting in my family room last night and watching the relationship between aperture and shutter speed. But even when the exposure meter was right in the middle, the flash icon and question mark icon were flashing.

Of course I popped open the flash and took a shot, and it was completely overexposed.
So why was it telling me to use flash if the exposure meter was right where it's supposed to be without flash?

I think I'll eventually end up leaning towards M mode.
I did make more progress with A mode last night, when I realized that once you get the aperture to a certain size, the shutter speed does then change to balance out the exposure. So it did move away from 1/60 after a certain point.

It's possible the flash was in a mode where it will fire no matter what the exposure meter says. Perhaps the aperature was large enough that the flash would overpower the image even at 1/200.