Hello everyone - NEW

itznj

Hey guys,

New to this site, thought I'd introduce myself. From West Central NJ (908) and love to shoot, although always learning.

Figured I'd join and ask (aka be annoying lol) a ton of questions about photography and bodies/lenses/etc, hope you guys don't mind.

Let's get into it:
So right now I use a beginner DSLR, which I've had for waaay too long - D3100. Trying to sell it for a great deal if anyone's interested. Anyway, I love to shoot basically anything and everything, yea, I'm one of those people. However, I do mainly shoot automotive and scenery, although lately I've been trying to get better with portraits. So the next step is upgrading the body and getting some nice glass. I wanted the D600, watched allll the youtube reviews, etc, until I found out about the oil sensor issue, which now I'm considering the D610. Full frame, a crap ton more things I can do with the D610 over my D3100 obviously, but I still want opinions for anyone reading all of this. I post about all my pics on Flickr & Instagram - @itznj

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!
Kevin

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Welcome....I had the D610 and loved it....I only sold it and my Nikon lenses that were full frame because I'm going overseas next fall hopefully, and I didn't want to lug all that heavy equipment around. I ended up buying a full frame Sony and then bought ANOTHER D7100, which is a great DX camera. I would invest in full frame lenses and then buy yourself a D610 or if you can afford it, possibly buy a D750....which has a small problem Nikon is working to fix. Good luck, and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Woodyg3

Contributor
Welcome!

The D610 would be a great camera, depending on what lenses you already have, don't forget to budget for any FX lenses you might need.

jay_dean

If you like scenery, something nice and wide. I have the Nikon 16-35mm, and it produces great wide angle results. If you've got deeper pockets and don't use filters, there's always the hefty Nikon 14-24 f/2.8. Others on here might be able to suggest other 3rd party lenses that i don't have experience of. If you like car shows etc, these wide lenses do come in handy, as vehicles are often parked close together, and you cant get far enough away for a full shot, and whilst you're doing that people have walked into your viewfinder. I was at an airshow last year, and there was some Continental bloke on a ladder that must have been a good 25ft away from the aircraft, literally screaming at people to get out of his view. I was like, 'tell him to get a wide angle lens, and give him the bird!:p'.
It'll not be long before someone suggests a 50mm prime...wait for it......wait for it.....
Prepare for a big hit on your bank account, welcome along.

Last edited:

itznj

Thanks!

Welcome....I had the D610 and loved it....I only sold it and my Nikon lenses that were full frame because I'm going overseas next fall hopefully, and I didn't want to lug all that heavy equipment around. I ended up buying a full frame Sony and then bought ANOTHER D7100, which is a great DX camera. I would invest in full frame lenses and then buy yourself a D610 or if you can afford it, possibly buy a D750....which has a small problem Nikon is working to fix. Good luck, and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Awesome, thanks!

hello and welcome

Welcome! The D610 would be a great camera, depending on what lenses you already have, don't forget to budget for any FX lenses you might need.

Yea can't stop watching videos and reading reviews haha.

Welcome to the website :)

Welcome to the forum

Thank you!

If you like scenery, something nice and wide. I have the Nikon 16-35mm, and it produces great wide angle results. If you've got deeper pockets and don't use filters, there's always the hefty Nikon 14-24 f/2.8. Others on here might be able to suggest other 3rd party lenses that i don't have experience of. If you like car shows etc, these wide lenses do come in handy, as vehicles are often parked close together, and you cant get far enough away for a full shot, and whilst you're doing that people have walked into your viewfinder. I was at an airshow last year, and there was some Continental bloke on a ladder that must have been a good 25ft away from the aircraft, literally screaming at people to get out of his view. I was like, 'tell him to get a wide angle lens, and give him the bird!:p'.
It'll not be long before someone suggests a 50mm prime...wait for it......wait for it.....
Prepare for a big hit on your bank account, welcome along.

Yes, unfortunately, I'm aware of the costs... :(
Figured I'd buy it either on Amazon or B+H, but if anyone has any other good suggestions for reliable sources I'm all ears.

Welcome.

Thanks

I used to be a (973) from Sussex County, before I escaped.;)

Yea I'll be leaving my town soon too hahaha, thank God!

Sup!

Howdy Kevin and welcome to Nikonites! I think you'll enjoy the D610, but I'm still interested in seeing some images off that D3100!

I post everything to Flickr and Instagram - IG = @itznj / Flickr = flickr.com/photos/kevin_oconnell

Welcome to the forum!!

Thank you :D

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks!

Yea can't stop watching videos and reading reviews haha.

Thank you!

Yes, unfortunately, I'm aware of the costs... :(
Figured I'd buy it either on Amazon or B+H, but if anyone has any other good suggestions for reliable sources I'm all ears.

Yea I'll be leaving my town soon too hahaha, thank God!

Sup!

I post everything to Flickr and Instagram - IG = @itznj / Flickr = flickr.com/photos/kevin_oconnell

Thank you :D
Adorama is a top notch company as well.....and a better used dept. than B & H.