D7000 vs. FX

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd read this too Curt, but, owning both, I find there is something of a quality difference between the two. And it's not all about sharpness. It's a hard to explain and even to describe kind of difference.
I've thought of selling one of the two, and, to this day, I can't make my own mind. So for now I'll keep both.

Curt

Well my ultimate goal is to some day acquire a FX Nikon, be it a D700 or whatever might be out at the time? I have slowly been accumulating FX lens and at some point in the future I hope to get one. Don’t get me wrong I love my D7000.
But I do want to move towards FX in time. Right now I own my D7000, D200, & D80.
I may keep my D7000 but in time I will start with selling my D80 this fall.

goz63

Curt, let me know this fall if you are going to sell your D80. I am not ready yet but want a camera to deploy with. I just got back from the desert last week. I have spent 9 of the last 13 months there. Well I really missed my D90 but not willing to take it over there and expose it to that environment. I want to get a D70 or preferably a D80 to take when I go over again. That way I can use the lenses I have and will have a minimal learning curve. Any way, not ready to pull the trigger yet but might be this fall.

Curt

Mark, The D80 is spoken for in Sweden this fall. However if he does not take it I will let you know.
It is in perfect shape and I will sell it with two DX lenses (18-135mm & 55-200mm VR).
It also has the nikon battery grip as well. But at this point I am pretty sure he will take it:).

Calgary 617

I think this comparison would have made more sense with a stationary object, especially on a windy day. How are you supposed to determine sharpness under these conditions?

Rick M

I think this comparison would have made more sense with a stationary object, especially on a windy day. How are you supposed to determine sharpness under these conditions?

I agree, poor subject for that comparison. I really like most of Ken's work, but sometimes he conflicts himself.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I couldn't agree more. This would not be my ideal subject comparison especially with the potential wind factor. I can't comment about the D7000 sharpness since I still have not mastered most of the features and I feel that I still need to learn how to properly use the camera compared to the D700. But based on what I have experinced, the D700 is one stop better compared to the D7000 and has much wider field of view (which was expected). Colours are a little different with the D7000 which tend to give you yellowish colours when taking pictures of green leaves using the default standard picture control levels. I had to adjust the Auto WB to +3 of my D7000 just to get the similar colour rendition of the D700.

Browncoat

I really like most of Ken's work, but sometimes he conflicts himself.

Ken Rockwell is the Geraldo Riviera of photography.

95% of his writings should be considered only for their entertainment value, and not actual tips or advice on photography or equipment. He has high tendencies to form his opinion before he even begins writing a supposed "unbiased" review, and then bends reality to suit his needs. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of his work is dated.

If you're looking for real Nikon and general photography advice/tips, there are plenty of better sources out there. Check out Thom Hogan for starters.