D7000 Auto ISO

RON_RIP

Debating the merits of setting my camera on auto iso. I only shoot in manual. Would appreciate hearing from others if they use this setting, and what their experiences have been with it.

I shoot Auto ISO 90% of the time. Especially when I am shooting manual. When I am shooting Bird in Flight shots I need a specific shutter speed and I like to shoot around F8 so I have some Depth of Field to spare. Auto ISO just takes care of getting the exposure where I need it. I will normally use the plus or minus exposure to compensate for the sky.

The D7000 is a great camera and not using all the features is just a waste.

Deezey

I have honestly fallen in love with auto ISO. The cameras today really do well tackling noise. And honestly since it can be a pain setting ISO quickly, it has taken some of the stress out of my shooting in certain situations.

It was kinda one of those duh moments for me.

Krs_2007

I use it too on my 600, but you really need to figure out your max ISO. Meaning, take some test shots at various high ISO and see what max you want for it. Its a nice tool, but in some situations I have had it overexpose and underexpose. Yes you can fix in post-processing and I have never had it blow a shot, I just want to get it right in the camera to decrease my post-processing time.

But in short, use it, it will be a little different at first but you will get comfortable with it.

Horoscope Fish

A shot with the wrong depth of field can't really be corrected for in post, or at best somewhat awkwardly using a blur filter... A blown shot due to improper shutter speed also can be difficult or impossible to correct for in post. Digital "noise", though, is relatively easy to remove and has very little visual impact, comparatively speaking.

This is why I shoot in Manual but with Auto ISO enabled. This way one command wheel controls my aperture, the other controls my shutter speed and Auto ISO does what it needs to do to maintain proper exposure. I also like that the Exposure Compensation button still works as expected with this setup.

Last edited:

dh photography

I use auto ISO for about 90% of my shots as well. The D7000 has done a pretty darned good job of exposing correctly if I have my limits set right. I adjust the high ISO limit quite often depending on how the conditions are and how I want the shot to turn out.

RON_RIP

Well thank all of you for your replies.. The consensus seems to be in favor of using this feature and I will certainly try it out. And who ever said that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.