Youtube Review on The D750 Lens Flare Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC016

Re: You Tube Review on The D750 Lens Flare Problem

LMAO at this comment: "IF YOU WERE A REAL PHOTOGRAPHER, like I am (photography school and worked in 4 camera shops),..."

Rob Bye

Nikon has issued the following statement regarding this:

To users of the Nikon D750 digital SLR camera

Hopefully this will put the matter to bed. Permanently.

To eliminate the need to click the link, here's what Nikon had to say:

"Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

We have received indications from some users that when photographing scenes in which an extremely bright light source, such as the sun or high-intensity lighting, is at a certain position along the top border of the frame, flare with an unnatural shape caused by the reflection of the light may sometimes occur in images captured with the D750 digital SLR camera.

As we at Nikon are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of our customers, we have released this announcement to inform users that we are already working on measures to address this issue and will, of course, keep you advised of these as they occur.

Please direct inquiries regarding this matter, contact Nikon Customer Relations by phone at 1-800-Nikon US (1-800-645-6687), 9AM–8PM EST, Monday to Friday (closed certain holidays) or
online here.

Once again, thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs."

sonicbuffalo_RIP

If I was a user of a D750, that puny statement sure wouldn't put the issue to bed with me. What? We're working on it? You've got to be kidding!

AC016

If I was a user of a D750, that puny statement sure wouldn't put the issue to bed with me. What? We're working on it? You've got to be kidding!

Since Nikon has already more or less admitted that there is an issue/defect, they will most likely come out with a fix in the coming weeks. It's all well and good to say not to hold your camera at a certain angle or don't take photos in direct sunlight or the photo would have been horrible anyway (comments found online), the camera should not be doing this. Let's not be Steve Jobs and tell people how to use a camera in-lieu of admitting to a "fault". Perhaps more reason to not have a mirror box in your camera :p:rolleyes:

Rob Bye

I think Nikon is simply taking the first step in the process, and acknowledging the concerns of a small number of users. The majority of D750 owners will be oblivious to this matter, thus keeping the response muted is designed to keep things that way.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Since Nikon has already more or less admitted that there is an issue/defect, they will most likely come out with a fix in the coming weeks. It's all well and good to say not to hold your camera at a certain angle or don't take photos in direct sunlight or the photo would have been horrible anyway (comments found online), the camera should not be doing this. Let's not be Steve Jobs and tell people how to use a camera in-lieu of admitting to a "fault". Perhaps more reason to not have a mirror box in your camera :p:rolleyes:

For all the beauty that Nikon's users produce with their equipment, Nikon is bass akwards.

BackdoorArts

For all the beauty that Nikon's users produce with their equipment, Nikon is bass akwards.

Really?! F-ing, REALLY?!?!

Come now, Chris. You're talking about responding to an issue that one or two people found and put on YouTube, which was then put on NikonRumors and forums like this so that everyone with a D750 could go outside and produce a problem they never had, because frankly it only appears in very limited shooting situations that many of us would never encounter because we use things like lens hoods and things. So as an early-adoptive user who has never experienced the issue in 2000 shots over the course of 2 months in all sorts of conditions, I have no problem with the company saying they're working on a solution and will get back to me. This is neither pandemic like the D600 shutter issue, nor as impacting as it appears to some in rareconditions - so rare that were the guy posting the video not looking to make it happen I suspect he could shoot video for days and not produce it.

That's not to say there's not a problem. But do you want folks sending cameras in so they can install a piece of gaffers tape?! I think not. As has been shown, this is a combination of factors within the lens and the body and the fact that they want to figure it out and get a fix right is OK by me.

Look, we get it, you love your Sonys and kicking at Nikon has been easy since the D600. But get real, this is small potatoes. Yeah, it's a problem, and yes for some it could be of significant importance. But so is getting the proper fix. They've acknowledged that and promised a response. If you don't hear from them again in the next 2-4 weeks I give you permission to bitch all you want. Until then, or until you have a camera that's suffering from it, enough already.

Braineack

All the solution is going to do is make it so the flare goes completely to the edge of the frame.

AC016

Oooooooooh, you just got a spanking! lol

tumblr_n6xim19k1H1tb92l3o1_500.gif

J-see

My cam is as early as it can get. The shop-owner went to Photokina and when he got back, he had the one I bought.

I'm closing in at 20k shots and never ever experienced the issue while shooting. Only when it surfaced online and after a lot of attempts to reproduce it, I managed.

Still, even knowing the problem, I never think about it when shooting outside and this far I lost not one shot because of it. And I do love shooting against the light.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

@BackdoorHippie - Jake.....points well taken, but you've got to admit, lately Nikon's QC hasn't been the best. I don't hear of Canon having problems as frequently. For that matter, any mfgrs. Not just the lens flare problem. Nikon has slacked off lately it seems to me. I do like Nikon's gear, but not as much lately. I promise I won't say anymore about it unless something significant develops out of it. It really is small potatoes. Compared to the D600. I don't have a rat in this race, so I'm not pissed at all. But if I shelled out close to 3k for a rig, I'd expect QC to be a wee bit better. How would you like to be shooting a wedding outdoors with the sun directly overhead, and then go check your shots and see the flare? That's the type of shooter I was thinking of. All I did was post the video and HF said to put it to bed permanently. I disagreed with that. Nikon's statement didn't amount to much to the photographers who are having the problems. Enough of my ranting over practically nothing. Sorry for causing a disturbance.

AC016

What is it, exactly, would you LIKE them to say?

I would prefer something to this effect: "We are deeply sorry Sir [fill in the blank]. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We will be sending you a brand new unit that was tested by Kazuo Ushida himself. Furthermore, to cover your loss of the joy of life, we will be including a million dollar check, just because. We have lost face in this matter and to appease you, the complete Nikon board of directors will simultaneously commit harakiri. Once this is done, we will appoint you CEO of the company because we can see the potential you have in being an executive in charge of such a large conglomerate. If that does not satisfy you, not only will we create a national holiday named after you, but we will rid Japan of Shintoism and worship you as our God. With this, you can have all the Japanese virgins there are to either have sex with or sacrifice, your choice."

It's a long shot, but one can dream.

Horoscope Fish

That "we know what caused the problem, and will fix it".

What if they don't KNOW what the problem is, or how best to resolve it? How about giving them time to, oh, i dunno... Thoroughly assess the situation, so they can they can then release with, say for instance, the best possible solution instead of rushing a fix that may or may not work for everyone and that will be a proper, permanent solution. Crazy, I know!!

No... You're clearly in the right here; obviously the better solution to this would be to roll out fantastic promises based on an incomplete assessment of the situation to further muddy the water and give you even MORE to bitch about in the future.

This reaction of yours to what is clearly a direct, considered and logical response, is simply ridiculous IMO.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

[MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION]- I hardly ever bitch. I wasn't bitching here either. You're blowing everything out of proportion while wearing your cheerleaders outfit!

No more name calling or bitching about (blank) or (blank) If you own this camera and have this problem contact Nikon and let them know. The problem has been posted here and the response from Nikon has been posted here also.

Now let's all do something more productive like talking about photography.

Case and thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.