Eyelight's Technique 52 for 2015

Eyelight

Thought about just adding these as techniques and settings to be used on my Nikonites 52, but then thought it would be good to have a separate thread.

- Planning to work with a technique/setting (on and off) for a week and post one or a few images that seem to work.
- May use some of the same images between the 2 threads.
- Some of these may be a bit hard to do and I can see running short on time, so the list may change or be finished sometime in 2016 or later.
- Left a few blanks at the end for new thoughts.
- Some shots may include multiple list items, but will only be counted for the item being worked for the week (unless I get desperate).

The list is aimed at: (1) using manual settings, (2) using a wide range of lighting and light sources, and (3) working with seldom used camera functions.

#TechniqueStarting Post
EV -6#2
2EV -5#14
3EV -4
EV -3#26
5EV -2#27
6EV -1#29
EV 0#31
8EV 1
9EV 2
10EV 3
11EV 4
12EV 5
13EV 6
14EV 7
15EV 8
16EV 9
17EV 10
18EV 11
19EV 12
20EV 13
21EV 14
22EV 15
23EV 16
24EV 17
25EV 18
26EV 19
27EV 20
28EV 21
29EV 22
30fill flash
312 flash
323 flash
33low key
34high key
35rear curtain sync
36slow sync
37ISO 3200
38ISO 6400
39ISO 12800
40Time lapse
412 x 2 stitch
423 x 3 stitch
43Movie
52Shooter's Choice

Last edited:

Eyelight

EV -6

I figure go for the tough one first. This is EV -6 using f/2.8 @ 8 minutes. A night shot naturally, looking thru a window, thru the trees to a parking lot lit by overhead lights. The near trees were lit by a post lamp at camera right.

DSC_1359_150104_1024_001.jpg

Last edited:

Eyelight

EV -6

Same shot focused on the window, which I think I like better. Also at EV -6, f/2.8 @ 8 minutes (480.8 seconds to be precise), which brings me to a thought to add, that the actual calculated precise shutter speed for using f/2.8 at EV -6 is 512 seconds.

DSC_1358_150104_1024_001.jpg

Last edited:

dh photography

Certainly like no. 2 better myself. The first to me just didn't have any focus point to look at.

When working toward specific EV values, does it make a difference if the camera has an internal setting for exposure compensation set at anything other than zero?

Eyelight

Certainly like no. 2 better myself. The first to me just didn't have any focus point to look at.

When working toward specific EV values, does it make a difference if the camera has an internal setting for exposure compensation set at anything other than zero?

The exposure compensation only affects the aperture or shutter if not in manual, but it does affect the exposure indicator.

This first was almost more experiment than attempt at real art. It's an area of photography I've never did much work (on purpose). I'm planning to do several more in the same EV range. Most of the trees were not visible and kind of interesting how much shows up in a longer exposure.

dh photography

The exposure compensation only affects the aperture or shutter if not in manual, but it does affect the exposure indicator.

This first was almost more experiment than attempt at real art. It's an area of photography I've never did much work (on purpose). I'm planning to do several more in the same EV range. Most of the trees were not visible and kind of interesting how much shows up in a longer exposure.

Excellent info, and something different to experiment with that I knew nothing about (not hard to find). I was curious how that worked since I had taken more bird pics for the weekly challenge, but didn't use them after seeing my exposure comp. was left at +3 from a previous shot. I was in M mode and wasn't aware it didn't actually affect the exposure when shooting in that mode.

Eyelight

EV -6

After the initial trial run, wanted to try something not usually seen with a long exposure. I had to add a few seconds to the shutter open time due to losing aperture diameter to the closer focus.

f/3.2 @ 646 seconds
DSC_1432_150110_1024_001.jpg

f/3.2 @ 649 seconds
DSC_1433_150110_1024_001.jpg

wthorson

Thanks for taking on this difficult challenge this year. I appreciate all of the information that you are including in your shots. They are going to help me understand the EV settings. Keep it up !!

Eyelight

One more EV -6 before we move on.

The enlightening thing about these long exposures is how little light it takes and how well the modern digital sensor performs. The light for this shot was a combination of street light coming thru closed shades across the room and the laptop screen which was facing away.

I had the NR turned off earlier and decided to leave it off. There is some noise, but not real noticeable.

DSC_1480_150116_1024_001.jpg

Eyelight

EV -5

Same light sources as the last EV -6 shot, so we can see that 1 stop less exposure is closer to what was needed in the darkness.

f/4 @ 8 minutes and 34 seconds <<Should be 32 but I was asleep at the switch.

DSC_1482_150116_1024_001.jpg

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I always loved a pocket watch. Used to carry one all the time. My son gave this one to me, so it's worth a small fortune.:)

I know what you mean about the fortune... My brother carried one... When he passed a few years ago, there was a non working one in his "stuff" along with a small bear from his office. Those are the only 2 things of his I wanted, the watch is in my jewelry box and I see it every time I open it, reminding me of him. The bear is on a shelf in my man cave, watching over me everyday. They are worthless to many but "Priceless" to me!

Pat in GA

wornish

Fully agree .
I still have and use my dads screwdriver. It's a ratchet screwdriver with a wooden handle it just feels right in my hands.
it reminds me of being with my dad working on his latest "project" in his shed.
its priceless to me but worthless to anyone else.

Eyelight

EV -4

Getting behind on this thread so figured I better get after it. This is one of a few EV -4 shots in a trial and error to see what light I need. This one a little dark and not much DOF

f/5.6 @ 8 minutes and 33 seconds (SOOC)
DSC_1971_150221_1024_001.jpg

Decided I'm going to add some processed versions.
DSC_1971_150221_1024_001-2.jpg

Last edited: