Nikon investigating the reflection/flare issue in the D750

Fred Kingston

It appears(sounds like)(Nikon Rumors is reporting) that several D750 owners have contacted a law firm about a class action lawsuit.

^^^^ That may be the impetus... Much like disability claims, once folks figure out how to beat the system, it becomes the preferred method of running their game...:(

TieuNgao

I bought my D750 last week and today is the first time I encounter the "shadow band" problem (photo attached). I'm sure that this is a minor issue and I can work around it, but I hope that Nikon will have a solution soon.
_DVT0189r.jpg

J-see

I bought my D750 last week and today is the first time I encounter the "shadow band" problem (photo attached). I'm sure that this is a minor issue and I can work around it, but I hope that Nikon will have a solution soon.

It only shows at a very specific angle when a too bright light source is just out of the FoV. A lens hood or hand just above the lens to block the stray light solves it.

mikew_RIP

If thats taken with a nikon lens on a nikon camera that i had just payed for i would be well pee"d off,its not like having a bit of flare due to a light source in the frame,to me that is so wrong.

J-see

If thats taken with a nikon lens on a nikon camera that i had just payed for i would be well pee"d off,its not like having a bit of flare due to a light source in the frame,to me that is so wrong.

The flare is not caused by the "problem". That would be there with any cam. It only looks like a problem because of the upper band that appears because something internal blocks the stray light that should have polluted that part too.

mikew_RIP

The flare is not caused by the "problem". That would be there with any cam. It only looks like a problem because of the upper band that appears because something internal blocks the stray light that should have polluted that part too.

Looking at your answer ime not sure you understood my post,its the upper band that i would send it straight back for.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Looking at your answer ime not sure you understood my post,its the upper band that i would send it straight back for.

Mike....this apparently does not happen with every D750. At least I would say that MOST of the D750 users haven't discovered that this happens with their cameras. This being said, let's let this drop until Nikon announces it has found a fix. Not everyone on this site is as enthusiastic about the problem as you are. Let sleeping dogs lie. The next news should be when Nikon speaks again regarding this subject. You wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers around here, right? I don't have a horse in this race, but I will respect the remarks made previously.

J-see

I then have misread your reply since I assumed you were talking about the flare.

I fear the upper band is another issue and one many a cam suffers. And not only Nikon. It's almost something that could be considered normal under circumstances.

BackdoorArts

I was an early adopter of the D750 and have tried countless times to reproduce this issue with mine and cannot. There seems to be a variation in the height of a metering component (IIRC) that causes this and I suspect as soon as Nikon sorts out the extent of the issue and the solution they will make recalls available.

mikew_RIP

Mike....this apparently does not happen with every D750. At least I would say that MOST of the D750 users haven't discovered that this happens with their cameras. This being said, let's let this drop until Nikon announces it has found a fix. Not everyone on this site is as enthusiastic about the problem as you are. Let sleeping dogs lie. The next news should be when Nikon speaks again regarding this subject. You wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers around here, right? I don't have a horse in this race, but I will respect the remarks made previously.

I guess my answer was based on dealing with a local Nikon agent who if i took that back would swap it straight away,mind you i have been buying from him for over 40 years

scotchtape

I just received one I purchased online.
Within one minute, I found out I had it using live view and the lights in my room :(
I hope they find a fix for it!

I do a fair amount of urban night photography. I can already imagine the troubles I will have with motion timelapse and street lamps :(

rocketman122

I just received one I purchased online.
Within one minute, I found out I had it using live view and the lights in my room :(
I hope they find a fix for it!

I do a fair amount of urban night photography. I can already imagine the troubles I will have with motion timelapse and street lamps :(

youre going to have to send it in and be without the camera for a little while. AF sensor is off in some of these.

Nikon to start fixing the D750 reflection/flare issue at the end of January | Nikon Rumors

jay_dean

Its not great for the Nikon brand is it? the D600 with oil spots, the D810 thermal issue, now the D750 with another potential problem

J-see

I just read it on Nikon rumors. I'd prefer to first find out what they exactly do but I'm tempted by the free service. I got some spots I rather had not and if they do a free sensor cleaning too, I might grab the opportunity.

Horoscope Fish

I don't expect companies *not* to screw up once in a while, that's just part of "Life". I do, however, expect those same companies to step up to the plate and make things right when they *do* screw up and Nikon seems to be doing that in regards to the D750 issue.

Hopefully this will put the issue to bed once and for all. I doubt it will, but I'm living proof hope springs eternal in the human breast. It also springs eternal in my left wrist, thumb and index finger when rain is coming.

scotchtape

The only reason I went through with my online purchase is because I have a Nikon service center in my city I can drop my camera off at.
If not for that reason, I would have waited until they got these shenanigans sorted...

Nero

It appears(sounds like)(Nikon Rumors is reporting) that several D750 owners have contacted a law firm about a class action lawsuit.

^^^^ That may be the impetus... Much like disability claims, once folks figure out how to beat the system, it becomes the preferred method of running their game...:(
Yup, people are pretty lawsuit-happy these days.

Tobogganing has been banned in my city because people have been suing the city because they've been tobogganing and hurt themselves. Nothing wrong with the hills, people are just idiots.