How does one remove light globes from a photo?

John Braden

I have a photo that has weird green globes and also a green tinge to the sides of some faces. I cropped this photo quite a bit just to show the green globe. Is there any way this can be corrected in post-production? I'm not looking for someone to do it for me, though it would be great, but I wouldn't learn anything if someone did. All I have in NXview2 and ACDSee17. Can someone guide me in any way? I'd really appreciate it! crop.jpg

480sparky

You need something that can select the area, which I know NX cannot do but not sure about ACDSee.

Clone and heals tools might help as well.

GIMP can do it, and it's free.

Horoscope Fish

In Photoshop we'd select the flare using, say for instance, the Lasso tool and then use Content Aware/Fill to "replace" the flare but I'm not familiar with the tools in ACDSee or NX. You could also try to Clone it out; surely ACDSee has a Clone tool, it's pretty decent software.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Did you use a lens hood? That helps to eliminate flare before it happens, but sometimes it depends how close the light source is to the glass.

John Braden

Did you use a lens hood? That helps to eliminate flare before it happens, but sometimes it depends how close the light source is to the glass.

Yes, I did use a lens hood. I have no clue where the alien green light came from! I will try my best to "clone" areas nearby to minimize the "damage". Thank you!

480sparky

Thank you! Once I put on a filter, I rarely take it off. I don't wish to have foreign particles on the lens. Plus, it was a spur of the moment thing and I didn't want them to wait for me! Thanks!

But look at what having the filter on has done.

....... I have no clue where the alien green light came from!......

A good possibility it's due to the presence of the UV filter.

Protecting the lens is all good and well, but what good is the protection when it ruins your images?

Last edited: