Jason Lanier Shoots Wedding With Sony A6000

BackdoorArts

It's a really, really good camera. He's obviously shot with it before, because there is a learning curve that must be experienced, particular with regard to the focus systems. Having shot with both, the one major issue I can see with trying to use the a6000 exclusively for this is that I find the LCD to be difficult-to-very-difficult to see clearly in bright light. Even cranked, which will eat the battery quickly (another issue since the D800 battery allows 3-4X the number of shots, in my experience), it can be difficult to see your subject so you need to do some guess work, and single-point focusing can be tricky. I just shot an entire holiday party with it and a Sony 50mm f1.8 and was thrilled with the results. Add some of the Zeiss glass available (at significant cost) and it is truly a professional quality camera. The focus system is amazing, and it allows you to "remember" 10 faces that it will prioritize as focus points, which is perfect for weddings as it will grab the couple in group shots.

That said, this is obviously a little gimmicky, and we've already seen videos from this guy where he's stated that he's switched from Nikon to Sony, so for me to buy that he was ever pondering a switch back to the D800 during this shoot is complete and utter nonsense. It's a Sony commercial, pure and simple.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

It's a really, really good camera. He's obviously shot with it before, because there is a learning curve that must be experienced, particular with regard to the focus systems. Having shot with both, the one major issue I can see with trying to use the a6000 exclusively for this is that I find the LCD to be difficult-to-very-difficult to see clearly in bright light. Even cranked, which will eat the battery quickly (another issue since the D800 battery allows 3-4X the number of shots, in my experience), it can be difficult to see your subject so you need to do some guess work, and single-point focusing can be tricky. I just shot an entire holiday party with it and a Sony 50mm f1.8 and was thrilled with the results. Add some of the Zeiss glass available (at significant cost) and it is truly a professional quality camera. The focus system is amazing, and it allows you to "remember" 10 faces that it will prioritize as focus points, which is perfect for weddings as it will grab the couple in group shots.

That said, this is obviously a little gimmicky, and we've already seen videos from this guy where he's stated that he's switched from Nikon to Sony, so for me to buy that he was ever pondering a switch back to the D800 during this shoot is complete and utter nonsense. It's a Sony commercial, pure and simple.

You may be right about the commercial aspects of the video, unless he shot this BEFORE he released his "I'm switching to Sony" video, and just had this one waiting. I'm guessing you are right however. He wants to be THE Sony salesman, no doubt about it. But if that is so, it helps Nikon too, as he STILL has his D800 on hand waiting in the wings. He hasn't totally gone Sony it seems if this video is chronologically correct. Glad you like your Sony, Jake.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

You may be right about the commercial aspects of the video, unless he shot this BEFORE he released his "I'm switching to Sony" video, and just had this one waiting. I'm guessing you are right however. He wants to be THE Sony salesman, no doubt about it. But if that is so, it helps Nikon too, as he STILL has his D800 on hand waiting in the wings. He hasn't totally gone Sony it seems if this video is chronologically correct. Glad you like your Sony, Jake.

I am more than happy to use both systems. I'm not crazy about investing in a separate set of lenses for the Sony, so I'm taking it very slow and making determinations on what it is I need with it and what it is I'd like for it, and waiting for likes to become needs figuring most of them won't.

Funny, but when I picked up my D750 with 24-120mm f4 to do a group portrait after shooting the Sony for 4 days straight I couldn't believe how heavy it felt. LOL