Weekly Challenge Dec 31 - Jan 7. Topic " EV13."

weebee

EV13 - Eyelight's Choice DO NOT SHOOT OR POST IMAGES UNTIL WEDNESDAY 12/31 This early announcement of the topic is to give a little think time, before the challenge begins. Photos must be taken and submitted between 00:00 UTC of the start date and 00:00 UTC of the end date.

Untitled.jpg

This photo challenge is "EV13". Shoot a shot, any shot using an EV13 shutter speed/aperture combination at ISO 100. Like using a prime lens and zooming with your feet, this will require setting the camera manually and then finding the right conditions with your feet or using lights or flash or reflectors or waiting for the light to come to you.
No gallery images or off-site links (flickr, 500px, etc) will be accepted. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread. Only one photo entry per member for each week, unless otherwise noted. All regularly active members of Nikonites are allowed to participate, including moderators and administrators.VotingDuring the submission & like periods, please click the Like this post button to vote for your favorite images. You can vote for as many as you want! At the end of the week, you will have the opportunity to vote again for the top 3 photos for this challenge!There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Photo Challenges, unless specifically noted by the site administrator. Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited or straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Last edited:

weebee

Also, provided by Eyelight. Here are some combinations that will give you the EV13 results:

EV 13 is simply a combination of shutter speed and aperture. Below is a list of the combinations that all equal EV 13. We use them everyday, we just don't think in terms of EV.

All of these combinations would produce the same exposure, but each have other impacts on motion blur and DOF. So, basically, just pick the EV 13 settings you want to use and find the scene or subject that works.
EV 13 Shutter Speed /
Aperture Combinations
1/8000 @ f/1
1/4000 @ f/1.4
1/2000 @ f/2
1/1000 @ f/2.8
1/500 @ f/4
1/250 @ f/5.6
1/125 @ f/8
1/60 @ f/11
1/30 @ f/16
1/15 @ f/22
1/8 @ f/32
1/4 @ f/45
1/2 @ f/64

Last edited:

Eyelight

Just wondering.....what is special about EV13? I mean it could have been EV14 or 15. Would like to know the significance of EV13?

Excellent question.

EV 13 (at ISO 100) is 2 stops slower than the bright sun where EV 15 ( at ISO 100) might be the choice, so easier to find the light required to make the shot, especially in December in many parts of the world.

Usable indoors with bright sun coming thru a window, and usable with light from a bright sun rising or setting.

So, sorta kinda a middle ground, but leaning a bit toward having more light than less.

wornish

It has been really dark and overcast here for the last two days.
So I thought I will use my 50W halogen desk lamp to light an indoor shot of a model car.
I am amazed how bright the lighting has to be to get anyway near what we treat as bright sunlight.
Ended up having to use white sheets of paper to act as reflectors and position the halogen light about 2 inches (5cm) above the car.
Quite an eye opener.

Here is my entry its straight out of camera only cropped and straightened in LR No other adjustments.
ISO 100, 1/125sec @ f/8 = EV13

EV13 SOC.jpg

Eyelight

It has been really dark and overcast here for the last two days.
So I thought I will use my 50W halogen desk lamp to light an indoor shot of a model car.
I am amazed how bright the lighting has to be to get anyway near what we treat as bright sunlight.
Ended up having to use white sheets of paper to act as reflectors and position the halogen light about 2 inches (5cm) above the car.
Quite an eye opener.

Here is my entry its straight out of camera only cropped and straightened in LR No other adjustments.
ISO 100, 1/125sec @ f/8 = EV13

View attachment 131387

Excellent entry and nice description of what you had to work with and how you pulled it off.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Wow, I can't believe that I have a challenge entry in so early. I went out today just passing time with my wife. Came upon a cemetery we have visited on various occasions. Looked at the lighting and thought hey let me see if this EV13 thing works for this. Wife didn't give me much time to play with angles, composition, etc. as it was cold and windy (She's very impatient. Ha!) Anyway here is what I captured at this old Pioneer Cemetery.

EV-13chllgA.jpg

Bob Blaylock

EV13 at ISO 100 is obviously meant for outdoor use, or indoors with a lot of light coming in a window. Somewhat like @wornish, I felt motivated to try to defy this by taking a picture using only artificial indoor illumination. Not so easy, as this turns out to be just enough exposure to get a somewhat dim direct shot of just about any luminaire in my home, and not enough at all to get a very good shot of anything illuminated thereby.

I've got this lamp that has a large, rice-paper shade, good for silhouetting something against. One of my wife's sheer lace bras, hanging from this lamp. The dark appearance against the lamp notwithstanding, this bra is actually white. I tried earlier a black lace bra, that actually produced a less satisfactory result at this low exposure level. This is somewhat similar to one of the images that I submitted for last May's monthly challenge.

The “black and white” appearance notwithstanding, this is actually a full-color image. There just wasn't a lot of varied color in the original scene.

ƒ/8 at 1/125′, ISO 100.

CSC_6228n.JPG

The image below is just to show some detail that was lost in shrinking the main image to 1000 pixels, to fit the demands of this forum.

CSC_6228nd.JPG

Blacktop

As far as I'm concerned it's the same rules as always. Edited or straight from the camera. Though it does take something away from the EV13 I guess.

Yes that's what I mean. If you can increase exposure, pull shadows or highlights, then wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

I'll take a shot tomorrow, and won't use anything to mess with the exposure.

Bob Blaylock

Uhmmm, just one question. Are we not allowed to do any PP on these?

As far as I'm concerned it's the same rules as always. Edited or straight from the camera. Though it does take something away from the EV13 I guess.

The wide dynamic range on modern DSLRs would certainly make it possible to stretch the exposure quite a bit in one direction or the other. I would think that, given the specified exposure value, it'd be cheating to take advantage of such adjustments in this challenge.

Eyelight

Speaking from the perspective of the one who picked the topic, the spirit of the challenge is shooting in light suitable for EV13 and the light could be from any source.

Speaking from the perspective of a Challenge Team member, the challenges are meant to provide a common ground, but also leave it wide open for creativity. This is why each challenge includes: "Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited or straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject." This was not adjusted for this challenge (see post #1), so post processing is perfectly acceptable.

Once each photographer shoots and submits their interpretation of the challenge, provided the shot meets the basic criteria, it is then totally up to the members likes and votes as to how well the shot actually meets the challenge.

I have another thought to add, but need to look something up.

Edited to add: 12% of my LR library show EV 13 settings. This includes 1/3 stops, which should be permissible for the challenge if one wants to venture in between the combinations in the table provided in post #2.

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I felt that with the EV13 challenge that any compensation for exposure would not fit into the intent of the challenge, so I chose not to alter the exposure in post processing. Tweaking of temperature and sharpness I felt was fair game. I did have some shots that would have been usable with an exposure adjustment, but not suitable for the challenge without it. My 2¢.

Eyelight

The wide dynamic range on modern DSLRs would certainly make it possible to stretch the exposure quite a bit in one direction or the other. I would think that, given the specified exposure value, it'd be cheating to take advantage of such adjustments in this challenge.

I felt that with the EV13 challenge that any compensation for exposure would not fit into the intent of the challenge, so I chose not to alter the exposure in post processing. Tweaking of temperature and sharpness I felt was fair game. I did have some shots that would have been usable with an exposure adjustment, but not suitable for the challenge without it. My 2¢.

There simply are no limits on post processing in this challenge. None, nada, zilch, zero.

wornish

I know the rules say no limits in post, but I feel it does take something away from the challenge especially if you start altering the exposure in post.
But let the votes speak for themselves as @Eyelight says, rules is rules.