D750 import model questions

Woodyg3

Contributor
This means no USA warrantee. I know nothing about Abe's of Maine, but I would not buy grey market items from anyone but Adorama or B&H, myself. The last time I checked, they offered a short term store warrantee on grey market items, and you can buy an extended warrantee. All in all, I buy USA market items almost all the time. I'd much rather deal directly with Nikon for any service issues, should they come up.

Google grey market and you'll find a ton of opinions and information.

Last edited:

rocketman122

It's time for a new camera and I have decided to jump the fence from Canon to Nikon. After a lot of research I have decided to go with the D750. I am seeing a substantial difference in price of as much as $700 between some models and others identified as a D750 import, like the one in this link:
Nikon D750 DSLR Camera (Body Only)

Is there any difference in the import model?

there is no difference in the camera except maybe the papers (manual/instructional)

warranty will be strictly through ABES. nikon wont even touch it, even if you pay out of pocket. its their way to punish you to think twice before buying grey. they want you to cough up the cash. they also wont sell nikon parts to non authorized repair places as to minimize grey repair. basically forcing you into a corner to buy USA.

this is only in the US. in my country and my brothers, they dont care if its grey. if its bought legitimately you get warranty, if you buy import, no problem, just pay for the repair.

I dont live in the US and buy grey/import exclusively. I also buy macks vip diamond warranty which adds 3 years of all risk warranty which covers pretty much any damage. costs around $180 and its for 3 years. I save a lot and get extended warranty and most times youll need repair, nikon will accuse you of impact damage and youll pay out of pocket. if I lived in the US, I still wouldnt buy USA.

I bring it to the authorized repair place mack assigns and get warranty through them. actually the majority in our country buy grey.

just be aware of the D750 issue

Nikon D750 reflection/flare issue - possible solution found | Nikon Rumors

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The ad doesn't say what you get for the price. Some of these companies will split up what comes in the box and sell the items separately. If you are interested in it, then call and ask what you get for the price. Do you get the battery and charger? How about a paper manual? The box? The body cap? Make sure EVERYTHING is included...otherwise be careful.

Here are some yelp reviews of Abe's of Maine:

Abe?s of Maine - Linden, NJ | Yelp

Horoscope Fish

I bought my D750 grey market and it's been awesome. I did have to change the menu language from Chinese to English but after that, all has been great and I saved almost $800. If you want you can get a warranty from Squaretrade that covers everything (including drops and accidents) and still come out way ahead.

rocketman122

I bought my D750 grey market and it's been awesome. I did have to change the menu language from Chinese to English but after that, all has been great and I saved almost $800. If you want you can get a warranty from Squaretrade that covers everything (including drops and accidents) and still come out way ahead.

Exactly. Squaretrade is another third party warranty option like mack. You get years of an all risk warranty. Basically u drop it they fixit.

actually by reviews on ressellerratings it looks ok to me. If i can buy through paypal i have no problem. If i have an issue i just open a case with them

Horoscope Fish

... Basically u drop it they fix it.
I actually prefer this arrangement over the Nikon USA warranty. I'll wager I've dealt with Nikon's (so called) Customer Service more than most (part of my job at the college) and I've seen them decline coverage waaaaay too many times with a wave of their magic wand labeled, "impact damage".

I love my Nikon gear, Nikon as a company... Not so much.

Zerobeat

Coming out of New York at that price? Yeah, that's an import.

I've had my suspicions, as I've been shopping around on it. As I said: before I plunk down the cash, I will ask(regardless of vendor).

Edit:

I should ask: Since you purchased yours gray market, what did the Squaretrade warranty cost you? Have you ever dealt with them on a warranty issue? I've had experiences with these types of companies in the past, and it can run a fairly large gamut. Thanks in advance for any insight you (or, anyone else) can provide on this.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I've had my suspicions, as I've been shopping around on it. As I said: before I plunk down the cash, I will ask(regardless of vendor).

Edit:

I should ask: Since you purchased yours gray market, what did the Squaretrade warranty cost you? Have you ever dealt with them on a warranty issue? I've had experiences with these types of companies in the past, and it can run a fairly large gamut. Thanks in advance for any insight you (or, anyone else) can provide on this.
The Squaretrade warranty for two years will set you back about $250 as I recall, a three-year wills set you back another $100 or so (going by memory). Check the website... It will tell you in short order without asking for any more information than how much your camera cost you. Squaretrade has a sterling reputation with the BBB and excellent reviews every you look.

I work at a college in the Fine Arts department and I'm surrounded by professional photographers every day at my job, not too mention all the student photographers... But anyway, while I've never needed warranty-related service myself, I've gotten very good reports from people who *have* used Squaretrade warranties and the reports have all been very positive.

@rocketman122 gets a warranty from Mack and he seems to get very good service from them as well. It's good to have options!

Woodyg3

Contributor
Just to cover all bases, let's remember that if there is some sort of Nikon recall, you're out of luck with a grey market camera. I know it doesn't happen often, but it's just something to know before you buy.

The D750 is new enough that refurbs may be hard or impossible to find. A refurb with extended warrantee is another option to consider, though.

bigal1000

It's time for a new camera and I have decided to jump the fence from Canon to Nikon. After a lot of research I have decided to go with the D750. I am seeing a substantial difference in price of as much as $700 between some models and others identified as a D750 import, like the one in this link:
Nikon D750 DSLR Camera (Body Only)

Is there any difference in the import model?

Abe's (Caveat Emptor) grey market is not a good deal in the USA

Last edited: