D5300, lenses and Machu Picchu

FrankDTank

I have an upcoming trip planned to Peru for 10 days (In May) andwill spend a couple days in Lima and majority of time in Cuzco and a day tripto Machu Picchu. I am enjoying getting to know my 5300 and I have the 18-55 and55-300 lens kits as well as a 35 1.8 I purchased. Which lenses would berecommended to take, or should I consider getting a different lens. Looking back Ithink I would have preferred the 18-140, but I am overall pretty happy. I wantto find a happy medium between functionality and not being too bogged down orworried about theft. Any input would be appreciated.

Moab Man

I would be inclined to take the 35mm for its sharpness and the 18-55 for its width. IF I could only take one it would be the 18-55mm because of it's width.

Last edited:
Kick in the 11-16 and carry it along with you. It would be great for Machu Picchu. But if you can't carry two lenses with you then I agree with Moab Man about carrying the 18-55

Horoscope Fish

I have an upcoming trip planned to Peru for 10 days (In May) andwill spend a couple days in Lima and majority of time in Cuzco and a day tripto Machu Picchu. I am enjoying getting to know my 5300 and I have the 18-55 and55-300 lens kits as well as a 35 1.8 I purchased. Which lenses would berecommended to take, or should I consider getting a different lens. Looking back Ithink I would have preferred the 18-140, but I am overall pretty happy. I wantto find a happy medium between functionality and not being too bogged down orworried about theft. Any input would be appreciated.
If the 18-140mm is a no-go I'd fall back on the 18-55mm, but I like the 18-140 on my D7100 a LOT and it's just as good on the girlfriend's D5300. One of my favorite "all-arounders".

Moab Man

Is purchasing a lens an option? Don and fish have mentioned lenses you didn't list.

Re-read your post, I too would get the 18-140 then.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

I would take the 18-55 and 55-300 if you can take both, this will give you more freedom with your shots. Or you could take the 35mm and then take some multiple panorama shots for the wide angles that you would be taking along with the 55-300 for wildlife and portraits :)

Blacktop

If you are going to buy any lens for this trip, I would highly recommend an Ultra Wide Angle, like the Tokina 11-16mm or the Sigma 10-20mm. If you do get one, make sure you get the one that auto focuses on your D5300.
If buying is a no go, I would not leave without the 18-55mm.

jay_dean

Agreed with the others on a nice wide angle, especially for getting panoramic pics of the machu picchu site, and the Andes views. As mentioned, the Tokky 11-16mm, or my personal preference Nikon 10-24mm

richnmib

When i went to Machu Picchu many, many years ago when I was in the Army, all I was able to take was a 35mm point and shoot. I would leave the 55-300 home and take the 35mm and the 18-55. Cuzco has some nice churches and the streets are interesting. Machu Picchu is unbelievable. Try the guinea pig.

Bluebear

I was there in 2012. The only lens I used at MP was the 16-85 on my D7000. You need a wide angle for the amazing landscape and panoramas, plus of course THE view, but there's also so much to see in the detail too. You need the flexibility of a zoom, so take the 18-55. With the cropping ability you've got with that sensor you should be fine.
BTW, if you get the chance to climb Wayna Picchu, take it! The view from the top, looking down over MP, is something I will never forget - or the climb up there...