50% of images are out of focus with D810!

hulk2012

I came today with from a sunny outdoor shoot with 70-200vr2 using silver reflector. I got around 40% out of focus images! I've used aperture priority with single servo and group focus and not less then 1/1000 settings. My d800 suffered from quite few out of focus pics in every session but this time my newly purchased d810 is way worst. Don't know what the problem is. On my lens I use m/f, full and vr on

Sent from my amazing iPhone 6+

Last edited:

J-see

I came today with from a sunny outdoor shoot with 70-200vr2 using silver reflector. I got around 40% out of focus images! I've used aperture priority with single servo and group focus and not less then 1/1000 settings. My d800 suffered from quite few out of focus pics in every session but this time my newly purchased d810 is way worst. Don't know what the problem is. On my lens I use m/f, full and vr on

If you shoot 1/1000s, you can turn VR off. You're shooting at the rate it communicates. I know that when I shoot grp with the D750 I suffer more out of focus shots than single but I'd not know if the same is true for the D810.

Did you fine-tune focus to the D810? It's possible the lenses need some adjustment.

Deezey

Mmm....group focus may be the culprit here. What are you shooting subject wise? Also I am not sure the D810 does this but when reviewing photos on the camera use the Dpad to scroll to the view that brings up your focus point. This way you can see which focus point the cam used.

J-see

The problem with grp I'm having is that it jumps focus between those four points and while doing so, when I shoot bursts, I too shoot in between those jumps.

​It's a handy mode to catch flyers but it doesn't nail every shot each time. When checking the shots, you'll discover a lot of them have no focus point.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Why do you use MF? Is your diopter set up? And yes turn off VR...

hulk2012

The problem with grp I'm having is that it jumps focus between those four points and while doing so, when I shoot bursts, I too shoot in between those jumps.

​It's a handy mode to catch flyers but it doesn't nail every shot each time. When checking the shots, you'll discover a lot of them have no focus point.

I guess it's more of a gimmick them. Don't know why I left it on while shooting on single servo. I shoot portraits btw

J-see

I guess it's more of a gimmick them. Don't know why I left it on while shooting on single servo. I shoot portraits btw

I never used grp to shoot portraits but it'll depend how you set focus. I back-button focus so even in grp, the moment I let go the button, the focus remains as is. If that is a correct focus, every shot should be good. Only when holding the focus button during grp shooting it can jump between points.

hulk2012

I never used grp to shoot portraits but it'll depend how you set focus. I back-button focus so even in grp, the moment I let go the button, the focus remains as is. If that is a correct focus, every shot should be good. Only when holding the focus button during grp shooting it can jump between points.

Same. I back button focus mate. That's why I wonder what's the problem

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry waste shoots already binned mate

How about posting a well focused shot then, with complete exif so we could see the exif? Was the subject static? Moving? A lot of questions could be asked before pin pointing the right answer.

Eyelight

How about posting a well focused shot then, with complete exif so we could see the exif? Was the subject static? Moving? A lot of questions could be asked before pin pointing the right answer.

Good thinking. I was just going to wait til the next batch.

BackdoorArts

You can't complain about OOF shots and not post examples. Period. It's like complaining about the food in a restaurant after you've finished the meal.