Help - Error message on new D5300

Leanne

Please help. My husband and I gave our son a new D5300 body and 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-300) for Xmas today.
He was able to use the camera fine for about half an hour and then an error message came up 'Lens Not Attached' and we have tried everything to get rid of it and have not been able to. Turning on and off. Taking battery out for 15 minutes. Taking SD card out. Checking all connectors are clean and undamaged.
Please help us. Not sure what to do next :-(
Thanks

Skwaz

Hi and Merry Christmas
Have you changed lenses at any point?
i had the same prob different camera, and all it was is make sure when putting lens on it fully Clicks into place
Reattach lens making sure it's fully turned to lock in
Hope all turns out ok

Leanne

Thanks for the replies and Merry Christmas to all!
I am not sure whether he turned the camera off when he changed the lenses. I will check with him in the morning.
I will also sit with him and do a factory reset as you suggest TedG954. I really do hope this will fix the problem as he is a bit devastated that there is an issue with it.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Thanks again.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I'd take Ted's advice and make sure the camera is off when changing lenses or cards. Just a guess...but his advice is sound advice! Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Leanne

Thanks for your replies.
We have tried the factory reset and nothing has changed. Still getting the lens not attached message.
Also have checked all the contact points and none of them are stuck, depressed or not moving freely.
The first time my son changed the lenses he did not turn the camera off. He knows now to do this but it seems like it may have been the cause of the problem. I would have thought that doing the factory reset would have fixed the issue.
The 'Lens not Attached' error is showing with both lenses - it does not natter which one we attach the camera is still not recognizing either of the lenses.
Any other suggestions?
Many thanks again.

J-see

Does the cam work when you set it to manual mode?

Ignore the message for a moment and put the cam in full manual mode, shut it down and attach a lens. Make sure the lens release jumped back and isn't stuck down. Then power it up and try if you can manually change aperture and eventually if metering/focus works.

If that all works, shoot some in that mode and shut it down again, switch to another mode and power it up.

Make sure the lens itself is set to M/A and not to M.

Last edited:

TedG954

Do you have the lens aperture ring locked on 22?

Remove the battery for 20 minutes. Be sure you are using a fully charged battery.

I am assuming the camera/lens was not dropped.

More tips to follow.......

Last edited:

Leanne

Thanks J-See. We have tried using with the camera in Manual mode but it just shoots a black screen. How do you get it to take a picture in manual mode? If you could talk us through how to use the camera in manual mode that would be good.
The lens has either A for auto or M for manual. Do we set the lens to M when the camera is in manual mode?
Thanks again.

J-see

I'm not sure how the D5300 exactly works but if inside, set the ISO to 3200 or 6400 and the shutter speed to 1/50s. Then change Aperture to the lowest value. If correctly exposed isn't important at the moment, all you need to find out is if the lens works properly when in manual mode or not.

Leave the lens on A (M/A).

Those lenses have no aperture ring if I'm not mistaken so that can't be an issue.

J-see

Also; try again to attach the lens when the cam is shut down. Check the indicator on the cam and make sure it is aligned with the indicator on the lens while putting them together. Then turn the lens until it "clicks". It must click. It can be a bit tight in the beginning but if you don't turn it until that click, the lens is not attached properly.

You maybe have done this several times but do it again and pay attention to do it well. This is the first thing you have to eliminate when trying to solve the problem. If this is not done well, any other trouble-shooting is irrelevant.

We have a tendency to be too careful with new equipment. That can work against us.

Last edited:

Leanne

Thanks J-See. We have done as you instructed and the lens is working fine with the camera in Manual mode and the lens set to A. Picture not great but it is working. Shall we just keep taking pictures like this for a while then try to switch it to Auto?

Leanne

Also; try again to attach the lens when the cam is shut down. Check the indicator on the cam and make sure it is aligned with the indicator on the lens while putting them together. Then turn the lens until it "clicks". It must click. It can be a bit tight in the beginning but if you don't turn it until that click, the lens is not attached properly.

You maybe have done this several times but do it again and pay attention to do it well. This is the first thing you have to eliminate when trying to solve the problem. If this is not done well, any other trouble-shooting is irrelevant.

We have a tendency to be too careful with new equipment. That can work against us.

Yes we have taken the lens on and off and it definitely clicks so it MUST be attached properly.

J-see

Thanks J-See. We have done as you instructed and the lens is working fine with the camera in Manual mode and the lens set to A. Picture not great but it is working. Shall we just keep taking pictures like this for a while then try to switch it to Auto?

The important thing is that we now know the lens works properly and that the cam does. The only question now is why it doesn't work when using another shooting mode. Did you try to switch to A or S (or any other) to see if the problem disappeared or if it stops functioning?

Directly using manual shooting will be hard since it requires some knowledge about the exposure triangle to get proper photos but until fixed, that's the only option.

J-see

Also; when in manual do you see the aperture used on the info screen? F/something or does it say F-/-?

If the aperture shows F--, the problem is the lens not being attached properly or the pin that makes contact being broken or stuck. I tried to replicate the problem with my D3300 which behaves pretty similar and can only do so when pushing the release and turning the lens some degrees. That moment I get the "no lens" warning and can not use any mode but manual. In manual my aperture shows F--.

Last edited: