Confused about purchasing Lightroom

paul04

lightroom 5 is the latest version, once you install It, just double check updates, as a new update has just come out,5.7.

Eyelight

Photoshop is a family of software, of which Lightroom is a member.

Each update is a full download just so you know. If the purchase is not the latest, the update to 5.7 will be another near 1 GB download.

I have never used Lightroom but do use Photoshop CS6. I know there are many people here who use Lightroom and some that use just use Photoshop like me. BUT there are a few who use both. I have never been able to see why one would need Lightroom when you have and use Photoshop.

Can someone tell me in simple terms why I would need both? Details. Not just it is better or easier or faster. Photoshop to me is easy and fast.

J-see

Can someone tell me in simple terms why I would need both? Details. Not just it is better or easier or faster. Photoshop to me is easy and fast.

If you know PS well there's probably no reason to buy LR. Besides the cataloging there's little it can do PS can't.

The reason I use it is because I have an old version of PS and am not interested in the ppm system to get the new one. If they still sold standalone versions, I'd be using PS.

But all in all LR isn't bad for photography since it is purely build around that concept. It has all the basics needed and allows even pixel-edit if you really want. Not as easy or handy as PS but it's possible. With some plugins even layers can be used these days.

I like it but part of that is out of necessity.

If you know PS well there's probably no reason to buy LR. Besides the cataloging there's little it can do PS can't.

The reason I use it is because I have an old version of PS and am not interested in the ppm system to get the new one. If they still sold standalone versions, I'd be using PS.

But all in all LR isn't bad for photography since it is purely build around that concept. It has all the basics needed and allows even pixel-edit if you really want. Not as easy or handy as PS but it's possible. With some plugins even layers can be used these days.

I like it but part of that is out of necessity.

That is pretty much what I thought. I did download a trial version once and did give it a honest try and it was more confusing than helpful. I was just trying to make sure I was not missing something.

tea2085

I was inspired to buy LR after viewing adox66's photo album on Flickr. He said he uses LR and PerfectPhoto. If I could ever take pictures as fantastic as his are, I would consider myself an accomplished photographer!! Thanks for the tip "hark"-I will order from B&H, It's where I purchased my 3300. Thanks guys for the info!! Paul

paul04

I did download a trial version once and did give it a honest try and it was more confusing than helpful. I was just trying to make sure I was not missing something.

Same here with photoshop, I just coud not get the hang of it. maybe my fault for trying to many things at once instead of learning the basics 1st

With lightroom I found it easy to use,

Same here with photoshop, I just coud not get the hang of it. maybe my fault for trying to many things at once instead of learning the basics 1st

With lightroom I found it easy to use,

Photoshop is something that you have to work to learn. It is not for the faint of heart. BUT, once you learn it is can do wonders

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I started with Photoshop Elements which can do quite a bit then went to Lightroom. When Photoshop CC became available, I decided to go with it and haven't regretting it. Even Photoshop Elements can do some Camera RAW editing similar to some of the basic edits available in LR.

skene

in simplest terms.... The only cause for using lightroom is to speed up the post process of multiple photos faster. This is where LR shines, as you can create presets which you can immediately apply to those multiple images. I have not yet found something in PS that does that, as you are working with image by image.
So maybe the wedding photographer would spend time more efficiently in LR vs PS/Bridge. So while you can do most image PP the same way, finishing the image in LR is slightly different, however I do like the idea of quickly uploading direct to your favorite social media site, or direct to your portfolio/website.