A girl and her horse

happlegate11

Here is a session I did with my ex sister-in-law and her four horses...this is obviously just one of them. Lacy is still a baby at 2yrs old...she has a bit of growing to do :) Thoughts?

DSC_0558 copy 3.jpg

bluenoser

Banned
Hi again Heather!

What an idyllic setting! Beautiful horse, lovely lady and the barn, etc.

Is this overexposed/washed out thing a particular look you're going for as you (again) kept the exposure bias at +3.00 or an oversight?? Just curious.

happlegate11

To be Honest No LOL. I fixed it a bit in the editing but it kind of worked in these images that I took..giving it a softer image. I honestly thought I had fixed it but..nope. I have been a little unfocused because I have a nine month old who it throwing up and pretty sick. I am fixing the +3.00 bias as I type...if I can find it. For those who cant see the data it is below.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Lens: 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Image Date: 2011-05-11 16:07:00 +0000
Focal Length: 24mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)
Focus Distance: Infinite
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
ISO equiv: 250
Exposure Bias: +3.00 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Fine Weather
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

bluenoser

Banned
You know Heather, I actually think that the dramatic overexposure in this case kind of adds a distinct feel. I'm reminded of an old magazine advertisement from the 70s or something (I don't really know why!) :)

With regard to changing your exposure compensation....just press the little "+/-" button on the top/right of your D7000 and while holding it down, use your thumb wheel to dial it back down.

happlegate11

I told you I was tired...it took me till now to realize I'm an idiot! LOL Its all fixed...I have no idea why I could remember how to fix it...but I also couldn't remember my phone number or address today either...so I don't feel like it was to far fetch that I couldn't remember where the +/- was on the camera (PS not in the menu HAHAHA) I'm done looking life a fool now thank you. And James thanks for re-pointing that out. The joys of fing up and getting caught to many times to actually brush it off is refreshing LOL :)

bluenoser

Banned
LOL Heather! You definitely aren't an idiot (I know them when I see them) Believe me, I screw up way more things with my photography than I get right - you've got plenty of company there. I've got 2 young children (son is 7 and daughter is 5) and they have taken their toll on my brain cells over the years while they keep getting smarter! My wife says (read: warns me) not to blame her for my absent mindlessness :))

Glad you got the exposure comp. sorted out too. Looking forward to seeing how you find your images with it back to normal.

Have a nice evening.

PavementPilot

You know Heather, I actually think that the dramatic overexposure in this case kind of adds a distinct feel. I'm reminded of an old magazine advertisement from the 70s or something...

I was thinking Kodachrome or some other film treatment. I like it. Keep it as is. With her jeans, it could be a 70's photo. Nicely done, accident or not. Maybe even add some (film) grain to it.

fotojack

Heather, in my humble opinion, I think both of your horse shots are great. I like the softness of them both. Nicely done.
You wanna talk about screwing up? lol Yesterday, I couldn't figure out why my 18-55 wasn't auto focusing. checked for A/M switch.....check......it was on A. Checked aperture setting......check....it was on Aperture Mode. Then it dawned on me...........check the CSM switch (on the front of the D200, lower left of lens). duh!! lol I had left it on M! (Manual) Switched it back to where I usually have it, on C (Constant), and all was well again. :) So don't feel too bad. We all screw up once in a while. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Heather, both are very nice shots, especially for being "unfocused". Pat yourself on the back . . . you managed to get a pretty good photo shoot and care for a sick little one at the same time. That's an A+ in my book . . . unlike some of us grown-ups who throw up and only manage to snap a pepto bismol bottle for a 365 day photo :cool:

bluenoser

Banned
I tell you one thing Heather, you're photographic eye is 10x better than mine ! I love how you compose your images - they look so very natural. This is a great example. Love it.
View attachment 3082

Heather, both are very nice shots, especially for being "unfocused". Pat yourself on the back . . . you managed to get a pretty good photo shoot and care for a sick little one at the same time. That's an A+ in my book

+1 all the way.

. . . unlike some of us grown-ups who throw up and only manage to snap a pepto bismol bottle for a 365 day photo :cool:

LOL! I just about spit my beer out when I read that! (although I'm partial to taking shots of bottles of cough medicine myself ;))

happlegate11

Thank you everyone. I like soft images..it kind of my style lately..if it sticks who knows...tomorrow may be a new style ;) I have like 1000 photos with the +3.00 now...it is fixed and now the rest will be set accordingly LOL So when I get the chance to shoot with out a little one in my arms I will post with the corrected settings! I can't wait to hear more feed back. Thanks everyone...this is such a wonderful site!

happlegate11

I tell you one thing Heather, you're photographic eye is 10x better than mine ! I love how you compose your images - they look so very natural. This is a great example. Love it.
View attachment 3082

+1 all the way.

LOL! I just about spit my beer out when I read that! (although I'm partial to taking shots of bottles of cough medicine myself ;))

I love those shots you get with the person just relaxed and not posed...they seem to always look 100x better (at least to me) I alway get from subjects "so what do you want me to do?" And I'm like "do" you nothing else. I put on some music from my phone and have them just go through natural motions..they are never standing still for the most part! Thank You again you guys..I enjoy the positive feed back and constructive criticism!

kayte

i like both photos, like some have said, leave it. for me, it's kinda the style I sue sometimes with my photography. GREAT JOB!! (oh and yes, I'm a softie for horses, so tell your ex sis in law to give each of those beauties a kiss and carrot for me :p)