Newbie Question - Which Camera to Buy.

pops1368

Hi guys,

I have recently decided on joining this forum, as I have decided on taking up photography and wanting a Nikon DSLR camera. Firstly, I would like to apologise if this thread is not the correct place for my question below.

Having read numerous forums and reviews I have narrowed my choice of cameras to one of two budget DSLR cameras:

• D3200
  • D5200

Reading these forums and reviews, I understand that the D3200 is much more suited for beginners or amateurs, whereas the D5200 seems to be the choice, if users decide to upgrade the camera's lens etc. in the future, which at some point I will be doing.

I would really appreciate some input/advice from you guys, as to which camera to purchase. I know reading these forums that Nikon will be releasing new models possibly in January 2015 and may result in the prices of the two cameras I have listed, which may affect my final choice.

Kind regards

Rick M

Welcome to the site! Of those 2 I'd choose the D5200 if only for the auto-bracketing feature. Buy the best body you can afford, something you will grow into and not want to upgrade in 6 months.

Horoscope Fish

Amazon is currently selling the D5300 for $3 more than the D5200 ($599 and $596 respectively) both with the 18-55mm.

I know the D5300 isn't on your list, but I'd strongly suggest it over either the D5200 or the D3200. I got one for my girlfriend some months ago and I've seen what it can do. It's an amazing camera.

Horoscope Fish

In looking at it more closely the D5300's on Amazon going for $599 are factory refurbs... Not that would matter to ME, but I didn't realize the difference until now and thought I should point it out.

paul04

The D3200 is a good camera, But like the others have said, given the choice the D5200 is the one to go for, or the D5300 if you can get it for a good price.

SteveH

Welcome to the forum!
As others have said, I would recommend going for the best body you can afford - But also take into account other bits and pieces you might / will want... Like memory card(s), a camera bag big enough for you think you might acquire in the next couple of years etc.

To throw another option into the mix, the D3300 is a similar price to the D5200, at least here in the UK.

pops1368

Cheers guys, for all the info/advice, I had not actually given any thoughts to the D3300. Given me lots to think of and from the concensus it looks like its going to be the D5200.

Once again, thanks you.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the forum,

Asking forum members to tell you which camera to buy is like asking your family what kind of girl you should go out with. You will be the one to pay for and use the camera. I think you should start with your budget and don't forget to plan money for lenses and accessories.

hrstrat57

As suggested above and at current price D7000 is the answer.....

Allows the new photographer to use fabulous Nikon AF D glass! (D7100 price is poised to plummet as well it appears, soon!)

pops1368

Marcel, thanks for the advice and in some respects you are correct haha!!! But there's no harm in asking others their opinions. In some ways asking people is very similar as reviews you read the good with the bad and then make a judgemental decision based on everything you've read.

The D7100 in the UK is well over my budget, to give you an example:

Body only starts £768 upwards
Body with a 18-105 mm VR Telephoto Zoom Lens starts at £899

A very nice camera indeed, but just not in my price range.

Thank you all once again for all you invaluable advice.

zilla

I have a 5200, and love it.. But IMO the 3200 has some great deals pricewise going on.. The D7000 is quite a bit more than either the 5200 or the 3200..

The 5200 has a few more features than the 3200, so you need to decide if you really need built in HDR, swivel screen, 39 focus points, and bracketing.. All things the 3200 doesn't have

Last edited:

pops1368

Zilla, thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. That is exactly why I wanted to have feedback from other users, as I am new to the DSLR scene after using a Canon IXUS 75 digital camera, for as long as I can remember. Well I went to my local electrical retailer today and the D3200 and D5200 were displayed next to each other and I think I'm 99% certain that I will go with the D5200. I may not use all the extra functions immediately, but once I have mastered the basics then I'm pretty certain I will use the D5200 to its full potential. They are doing the D5200 with an extra battery and a remote control, for £449 less Nikon cutback of £40.00, effectively making it £409, which I think is a good price with the additional items.