First pictures with D750

colton.neil

These are my first pictures with my new D750, although to be more specific they are my first pictures ever with a DSLR. I'm hoping to get feedback on things like composition and other "newbie" mistakes so I can avoid them in the future. ALL advice is welcome and I'm pretty good with constructive criticism so fire away. Thanks in advance for your help.
DSC_0311.jpg
DSC_0321.jpg
DSC_0331.jpg
DSC_0338.jpg
DSC_0886.jpg
DSC_0921.jpg
DSC_0931.jpg

wornish

Overall very good shots.
These are my two comments and they are meant to be constructive so here goes.

On number 4 the spiders web the DOF is a little thin IMHO only the back section is in focus and even that is not tack sharp.

So I would have upped the ISO and gone for a smaller aperture say f/11 or even f/16.
You can recover any noise at ISO above 1600 on the D750.

Number 6 the bird in flight again is not quite tack sharp could just need some post sharpening but not sure. Also in composition terms it is in the centre , might be better is it was to the right of centre allowing it more space to fly in the shot.

​overall great start.

colton.neil

Thanks for the feedback, this is what I was looking for. So as far the DOF on the spider web I was try to blur the background but what your saying is I went so shallow that I blurred part of my subject? Is there a way to check this in the viewfinder? Or would i need to take the picture to see my DOF? Would you recommend using manual focus for sharper pictures or I am "misusing" autofocus causing poor focus?

Posted via Topify on Android

Woodyg3

Contributor
Bracketing the spider web with 3-4 different exposures would probably have given you the best compromise between DOF and a nice background. You may have been able to change your position to get the spider web as close to perpendicular with the sensor as possible.

You have a very artistic eye, and these are a great start. Congratulations on your new camera!