My first guy senior session ever...shot today

Hyogen

​My first guy senior session. I haven't looked through all the pics yet, but I was extremely pleased with what I have seen and edited so far. We only took about an hour to take these:

I know most of these are centered, but I just tend to like centered photos like these nowadays.. It's super popular in wedding photography right now also. Just took these today and haven't really looked through them so I'll be sure to deliver non-centered crops/hots as well.

HYO_2442 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

HYO_2447 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

HYO_2449 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

HYO_2462 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

HYO_2479 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

HYO_2562 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

HYO_2597-2 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

HYO_2734 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

Hyogen

I was a little proud of myself for framing my subject cutting half the head off in-camera, but some people have already said negative things about my crop -_- oh well

My client is super happy with what he's seen so far....rather, my client's son is. He's a real individualist and talented musician so I really pushed myself this time to think outside the box. I am so bored with the rule of thirds and shooting to get the most creamy bokeh possible. These are in my opinion really cool locations, so I don't want to blur them put so much.

I'll also add that this guy was pretty much forced to get senior photos taken. Does not like having pictures taken of himself. It was a real joy to see him immediately share these photos and change his profile pic. He even asked me to take pictures at his audition at America's got Talent early next year!

Here's one that I took before this outdoor session that got him really excited.

Wesley senior-3 by Justin Lee Photography (2nd acct), on Flickr

Last edited:

dickelfan

I like the top one and the bottom two, the last one especially. It looks like something that could be on an album. The others are good, but I just don't care for the ones from far off, you can't see him. Overall good pics and as long as he likes them that is all that matters.

Rob Bye

Here in canada we don't have the tradition of "senior photos". I kind of understand the concept, but perhaps only for female subjects. I cannot grasp why any guy would be willing to do this. Having said that, I think you did an outstanding job. Were you approaching this like it was a band shoot? I see a similarity in techniques...

Hyogen

Thanks all. Yes, he reluctantly agreed because his mom really wanted him to have senior photos. He is now super thrilled that he can use some of these on an album cover, etc. I'm sure he doesn't regret taking the time to have these pics taken and that's a good feeling :)

The skateboarding pic was unplanned.. I have some other cool pics I'll share once I edit them. I was trying to set up my tripod when I saw the guy coming
I quickly stopped down, lowered my iso to the lowest (50?) and set my shutter speed to relatively slow to get the movement. With a lens I knew I needed like a 1/25" or so and an f-stop of maybe f11 based on previous experience of shooting panos. Nikon manual controls are so easy and intuitive...! I shot in burst hand held and got several shots with my subject in focus.

Last edited: