Spots

mdinh2k

I just got my D7000 last month and started to play with it. I've noticed a couple of spots in fairly exact same area on my pictures, but only when taken with natural light, ie. outside, but don't notice it indoors.

Here's an example of a picture, you can see two spots on the upper left quadrant (right above the horse's lower back, 2 'dots/spots'. Does anyone know what may cause this? I've seen in other threads about 'oil dropping' on sensor with D7000, is that common? If so, what's the best way to clean it and also does anyone know what the 'sensor cleanup' functionality is?

Picture: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks

KWJams

Not sure and certainly not an expert. But it could be dust specks on the inside glass on your lens. I would eliminate the easy possibilities first.

Calgary 617

It's pretty easy to see all dust spots and what kind they are.

Set you camera to aperture priority mode, metering to matrix, set the ISO to the lowest possible setting (not LO, either 100 or 200, whatever the D7k can do), turn off auto ISO if you have it on. Turn off the AF and set it to manual, set your aperture at the highest value possible for the lens. Either shoot clear blue sky or a white piece of paper (it needs to cover the full viewfinder/sensor) with the lens out of focus.

Then you will a) be able to see the spots by zooming all the way in on the back screen of the camera and move the zoom all the way over the picture. You will be amazed how much there is on besides those two you already see in your shot. And b) you will be able to determine if you actually have some sort of fluid that dried on the sensor or simple dust.
If it's just dust, you can try blowing it off the sensor, but DO NOT use any compressed air spray which can easily blow more moisture on the sensor (condensation).

If it is actually dried liquid, a sensor cleaning will get rid of it. You can either go to a place that can do it for you or do it yourself.

fotojack

All good advice from Calgary 617. Personally, I think it's a dirty sensor, easily cleaned using the appropriate sensor cleaners on the market.

Calgary 617

You can do that, some people are not comfortable doing it on their own as Nikon tells you to get it done at a service point, some are afraid to do it on their own as they fear damaging the sensor.

I saw how it is done once and since then I do it myself with the following kit:
https://www.thecamerastore.com/products/camera-care/sensor-care/digital-survival-kit-2

and loupe: https://www.thecamerastore.com/products/visible-dust/visible-dust-britevue-7x-sensor-loupe

You need a fully charged battery, only if it is at 100% you will find the cleaning lock up for the mirror in the camera menu (it should be described in the manual). Once I have the lens off, the mirror up and see the sensor, I check with the loupe if I can see the dust with it. Then I carefully blow with a blower like this one: https://www.thecamerastore.com/products/camera-care/sensor-care/giottos-rocket-air-cleaning-system

I check again with the loupe if the dust is gone, in most cases it is.
If there's stuff on the sensor I can't blow off, I use the swabs. Only one drop put on the edge of the swab is enough, I then place it carefully at one end of the sensor, wipe over the sensor and check again with the loupe. I had to clean my sensor only three times with the wet swabs, usually the blower works. But only if it is dust, if there's a liquid on it that dried, I need the wet swabs but it works fine all the time.

mdinh2k

Thank you Calgary 617 for the info. Very helpful. I got a dust blower and did it a few times and checked up on the net at this site for checking the dust: Inspecting For Dust - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning..

Dust still shows up, although 99% of it is not visible, but there is still the 'one dot' that comes up at max focal length, so it looks like I will have to clean the sensor. All the video make it look very simple, but I'm still nervous about doing it on my own :)

Thanks

caveman

I, too, have spots and just got it back from Nikon. They cleaned it. After only about 100 pics, spots are back.I never changed the lens after I received it back on 6-9-11 and on 6-11-11 they are back. THIS is not dust.

Haven't been here in some time, but I need some help now. Look at this and if you see fit, please pass it on.

YouTube - ‪Nikon D7000 Spot On‬‏

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolina Photo Guy

Caveman. I am going to be blunt.
This is my PERSONAL OPINION ONLY!!!

I watched the video with much anticipation, hoping that I would learn something.
And I did. I am having trouble believing that you never removed the lens
and that the spots are not your fault simply because I saw something in the video
that you never noticed.

Go back and take another look at the video. You will see that, while you were outside
with the camera out in the open you removed the memory card and plugged it into your
laptop. You then waited for the card to be recognized. All during this time, even to the end of the video,
YOU NEVER CLOSED THE CARD SLOT COVER!
Quite frankly, that shows me that you are lax about keeping dust and dirt out of your camera.
I suspect that you don't even realize how careless you are.
If I am wrong, I apologize. But your own video is the only evidence I have.

Have a great day dude.

caveman

I to have spots and just got it back from nikon they cleaned it,after only about 100 pics spots are back.I never changed the lens after i recived it back on 6-9-11 and on 6-11-11 they are back. THIS is not dust.

Not been here in some time but i need some help now look at this and if u see fit please past it on

YouTube - ‪Nikon D7000 Spot On‬‏

You make a very good point. But if dust gets in threw the card cover then
we all have had it.
As for lens changes ,well i didn't as i have readed alot about this and made it a point not to.
But i do thank you for loking at this and pointing that .

caveman

all so have the d3100 had it longer than the d7000 and it works great and after investing 5k i do take good care of my gear.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I find it a little strange that the spots are still there after sending the camera to Nikon. Have you contacted them to let them know about this?
I have some on mine too, tried the blower and they still are there. I'm waiting for my local shop to have a Nikon clinic to have them clean with liquid cleaner. But, for the most part, I don't see the spots with regular use of the camera. I rarely use f 32… And if you read different articles, they don't recommend that you do. You kind of loose quality after you pass f-16 I think. Plus, it's much easier with post processing to remove these little specs than it was with negatives to remove every little piece of dust. I remember retouching photos with the small tiny little bugger of a brush and don't miss it at all. So, I hope you find a solution with Nikon, but in the meantime, keep shooting at normal f stops.

caveman

I have spots even at f 8 and yes i did contact nikon about this. It is not a matter of f stop,Spots are there..I am not going to get this fixed i know this,I am just trying to let people know about this so that they are aware of this before they drop HARD cash, so they don't have this happen to them.

Nikon gear is good,I JUST got a bad one..........

If u see spots then send it to nikon,that is the only way nikon will know there is a problem.

MIKE

caveman

Caveman. I am going to be blunt.
This is my PERSONAL OPINION ONLY!!!

I watched the video with much anticipation, hoping that I would learn something.
And I did. I am having trouble believing that you never removed the lens
and that the spots are not your fault simply because I saw something in the video
that you never noticed.

Go back and take another look at the video. You will see that, while you were outside
with the camera out in the open you removed the memory card and plugged it into your
laptop. You then waited for the card to be recognized. All during this time, even to the end of the video,
YOU NEVER CLOSED THE CARD SLOT COVER!
Quite frankly, that shows me that you are lax about keeping dust and dirt out of your camera.
I suspect that you don't even realize how careless you are.
If I am wrong, I apologize. But your own video is the only evidence I have.

Have a great day dude.

I have waited for days upon end for your come back and you have not. I must assume that you have no first hand input on the D7000. I do and it is fact..LIKE I have said, I also have the D3100 and it works great.........

ARCayabyab

Omg!!! I've had my d7k for a week and I was shooting at 16+ apertures. when I got on my comp I noticed the spots. :( I was sad. I used the blower and took more pictures to find the spots still there. I called Nikon yesterday and they had me send them pictures of the spots. I should hear back from them today. I love Nikon but am dissapointed that there are all these problems for a camera We spent $1,500+ on.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've read that there were some complaints about mirror hinges lubrication that gets thrown away on the sensor. These tiny droplets do make spots that could be confused with dust specks. But, they don't go away with the blowing and have to be removed with the swipes.
Also, when you use a new blower to clean your sensor, make sure it doesn't contain any powder. I read that some cheap ones had the inside covered with powder to prevent the rubber from sticking to the mold in the manufacturing process.
One more point, my camera shop mentioned that when you use the "auto clean" for the sensor, it's better for the camera to be on something solid like a table or counter. Apparently, this way the dust gets shaken out a little more.

ARCayabyab

I've also heard and read people having their camera cleaned by nikon and 100 shot later the spots come back. They've had their camera sent back and fourth 4xs and the spots are still there. I don't understand why Nikon hasn't noticed that these are oil spots. Instead they try to tell you their dust spots. I've had an older Nikon and it never got spots that quickly. My camera is a week old, how do you explain spots so soon. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't shoot in a higher aperture. :/ sucks

fripple

I have the exact same spots. I take care of my equipment and I know for a fact that this isn't dust. There are numerous threads on other sites that point out the same issue, which is oil. I'm going to call them first thing in the morning and see what they say.

Eye-level

Banned
I have a mint condition 50/1.8 with the chrome ring...it exhibits one little flaw that completely ruins it...it has fungus and a good colony at that... :(

That lens is completely segregated from all my other glass...it is in the barn...I save it for some pipe dream of taking the F mount and making a 1 aperture hybrid lens out of some Zeiss lens or something... :)

I'm not saying that anyone has fungus on their sensors or lenses...

Just be aware of these issues...

Last edited: