Fire sale on "Hasselblad" Stellar cameras

Bob Blaylock

Just in case anyone really wanted one, they are now discounted by $2300. Yes, that is two thousand three hundred dollars!!

hasselblad stellar | B&H Photo Video

....or, you can just get the Sony without all the Hasselblad crap on it for less.

Actually, they're selling it for $2300 off of it's list price of $3299.99, making the price $999.99. They're selling the corresponding Sony for $789.99.

I cannot imagine that I'd ever pay $3300 for something in a fancy brand, if I could get something that was functionally identical for $800. But $1000 for a Hasselblad versus $800 for a Sony? If I were in the market for such a camera, and had that much money to spend, I'd be tempted to consider the Hasselblad.

AC016

Actually, they're selling it for $2300 off of it's list price of $3299.99, making the price $999.99. They're selling the corresponding Sony for $789.99.

I cannot imagine that I'd ever pay $3300 for something in a fancy brand, if I could get something that was functionally identical for $800. But $1000 for a Hasselblad versus $800 for a Sony? If I were in the market for such a camera, and had that much money to spend, I'd be tempted to consider the Hasselblad.

Uhh, that's what i said, ".... discounted by $2300...", making the Sony without all the Hasellblad crap on it less expensive. The Stellar IS a Sony camera. Your're NOT buying a Hasselblad when buying a Stellar, it's a Sony RX100. Your paying more for a little "H" on the camera and a bunch of polished wood.

Bob Blaylock

Uhh, that's what i said, ".... discounted by $2300...", making the Sony without all the Hasellblad [sic] crap on it less expensive. The Stellar IS a Sony camera. Your're [sic] NOT buying a Hasselblad when buying a Stellar, it's a Sony RX100. Your [sic] paying more for a little "H" on the camera and a bunch of polished wood.

I misread that part of your original post. I thought you were saying that with the discount, the price for the Hasselblad was $2300. Perhaps the idea that anything bearing the Hasselblad brand could be priced at a thousand dollars or less just didn't register n me until I saw it with my own eyes.

At its regular price, the Hasselblad Stellar costs so much more than the functionally-identical Sony that it's really hard to even think of justifying the extra cost of the Hasselblad. With this discount, the price of the Hasselblad version isn't really so much greater than that of the Sony version. A quick Google search found a few merchants selling the Sony version for about the same price at which B&H is now selling the Hasselblad version.

I know that underneath the fancy trim, they're the same camera, and will take the same pictures, and that in either guise, it is Sony that made the innards of it.

AC016

I misread that part of your original post. I thought you were saying that with the discount, the price for the Hasselblad was $2300. Perhaps the idea that anything bearing the Hasselblad brand could be priced at a thousand dollars or less just didn't register n me until I saw it with my own eyes.

At its regular price, the Hasselblad Stellar costs so much more than the functionally-identical Sony that it's really hard to even think of justifying the extra cost of the Hasselblad. With this discount, the price of the Hasselblad version isn't really so much greater than that of the Sony version. A quick Google search found a few merchants selling the Sony version for about the same price at which B&H is now selling the Hasselblad version.

I know that underneath the fancy trim, they're the same camera, and will take the same pictures, and that in either guise, it is Sony that made the innards of it.

True enough. Hasselblad cam for under 1k?? That does sound nuts. They closed down their Italian "design center", so maybe they are trying to save face by selling these cams at a huge discount and once that is done (or if it accomplished), they will start fresh with something else. I think they really should stick with medium format.

Blade Canyon

If I were going to buy a new Sony RX100, I might consider the Hasselblad at $999.

It was a post here on Nikonites about the Stellar that sparked my interest in the RX100 (first model), which I bought as an "open box" item at Best Buy for $479, and really love. If it only had an electronic viewfinder, it would be outstanding. The newer models have an EVF, but they seem too large compared to the first model to be in the same category.

ETA: following your link, I see these Stellars are still based on the RX100 Model 1. They are not the upgraded Sony models currently selling for $798. BH Photo is selling the Model 1 Sony for $498, so basically you are paying double that to get the Hasselblad furniture attached.

Last edited:

rocketman122

after the 46mp sensor from sony (then into nikon cameras) comes out, its pretty much over for MF gear. even at this time the D800/10 are doing a fabulous job for photogs who shoot for billboards. not at the same level, but definitely give a good fight. especially in the higher iso territory.

I wouldnt touch that hideous hasselblad. that camera is a disgrace to the legendary name.