Multiple exposure

J-see

I was testing multiple exposure just before. Basically I can either "blend" two or three shots taken into a single raw. I can do about anything and combine it but I tried identical podshots using 3 different exposure or aperture settings today.

The first is normal highlight mode in A letting the cam decide. The second is using normal exposure, +1EV and +2EV. The third is 3 different aperture modes.
It's not possible to process them identical because of the exposure differences but I tried to bring them to the same levels where possible.

055.jpg

056EB.jpg

057AB.jpg

059.jpg

EB3.jpg

AB3.jpg

Noise increases but then again, these are night shots.

Check the sky in the single shot and the exposure mix. Had the CP still attached which seems to add some noise. But I had it on for all shots.

Last edited:

J-see

I killed the shadows and highlights and set the black and white to their clipping points. Overexposed by 2 stops and clarity maximized to see the differences. Sharpened but I didn't add noise reduction.

059.jpg

AB3.jpg

EB3.jpg

I had all three analyzed to see the true differences.

ME.jpg

Last edited:

J-see

I've been shooting some more but don't understand the logic how it is applied. The manual says if 2 then 1/2 + 1/2 and 3 in 1/3th but when reversing the order of exposure, the shots change.
I''ll see what it does when shooting land tomorrow.

It's good for stuff like this in RAW. Not that I really have use for that.

063.jpg

J-see

I made it simpler to see the tone differences. Normal, 2x Exposure blend, 2x Aperture blend.

002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg

The differences are obvious. Does anyone know how I exactly should do this? It's not that I have many options but do I best shoot light on dark or dark on light?

I tried googling but there's hardly any information out there about this sort of shooting.

Edit: I think I understand it but since it only adds, there's very little practical use for it in landscape. I had hoped I could use it to combine over and underexposing but since it always applies the exposure increase, there's little use in doing that. Now it seems to not be more than a gimmick.

Last edited: