Quick Infrared question

ken3983

I've just recently ventured into this area and it seems rather interesting. On my D70, its no problem. I can get a good white balance using an 18-55mm with f/3.5 and a 1/15 shutter. I know the D70 is great for IR, but i want to use my D90 which isn't quite as sensitive to IR. I'm using a Hoya R72, by the way. Since I can't get a good white balance via measurement, is it possible to use an image from the D70 and put it on the D90's SD card as a reference for white balance? Any input is appreciated.

BackdoorArts

I'm guessing you could, but I've never done it. Are you attempting to nail it straight out of camera on a JPEG or are you willing to shoot RAW? IR is amazingly difficult to nail as a JPEG so I wouldn't recommend it. I know little about shooting with an IR filter and have only shot with an IR converted camera, but it should be applicable either way.

So with that said, more times than not your WB measurement is going to be very close to the left side of your WB slider in ACR (around 2000) even when the camera gives you a WB reading. Here's a look at what I get SOOC from my converted D7000 that actually achieves a WB (i.e. slider is at 2000)...

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 3.23.25 PM.jpg

The JPEG preview in camera looks pretty close, but once I get it into ACR the WB is WAY off as seen above. In order for me to really balance it I needed to create a custom camera profile for infrared based on what I get straight out of camera. Here's how you can do it too...

This profile gets applied on-import for all my IR images and then I WB adjust in LR using the eye-dropper and slider.

My recommendation is to try and find something close with your D90 and then use this methodology to nail it in post.

Last edited:

ken3983

I was going to take a white balance shot of white paper or green leaves as a RAW image and put that in the d1 slot in the D90. I know my exposure times will be greater, but the D90 has no problem focusing with the IR filter on. Its a challenge to say the least, but that the joy of photography.

BackdoorArts

With IR you always want to use green for your white balance. Gray cards and white sheets won't help you at all. I generally aim at the grass to set it. Given that mine is converted I set mine once and haven't changed it since. I don't remember if the D90 is capable of storing a custom WB preset, but if it can then I would suggest fighting to get one done and saving it off. You shouldn't need to focus to get the WB, just set the focus to manual, aim it at some brightly lit grass and go for it.