How To Get Accurate Nikon Colors In Lightroom

BackdoorArts

???would it help to run the raw files thru viewnx2 and then import to lr??

What, and save it as a TIFF and import that? Seems a lot of work and twice the space.

Here's the thing, if I'm shooting RAW I'm looking at the JPEG preview only for sharpness and lighting (i.e. no blown out highlights). Only once have I been confused by the differences between my JPEG preview and my RAW files, and that's only because I could watch as the thumbnail changed in LR as it built the previews (on import it displays the JPEG preview) and I had something weird set that impacted the JPEG lighting.

I could see this being a concern if you shoot both RAW & JPEG and want them to match, and this is the way I'd do it. I used to worry about this early on, but now I just set it to Camera Standard (which is where I leave my JPEG Profile in camera) and it applies it during import (along with Lens Profile and Chromatic Aberration correction). I don't use the preset method shown here, though it would obviously allow you to create a separate preset for all profiles. Instead, every time I get a new body, after my first import I go in and check the Enable Profile Correction and Remove Chromatic Aberration buttons in Lens Correction, and set the Profile to Camera Standard, then I go to the Develop menu and and choose Set Default Settings and hit Update To Current Settings. This way, every time I import photos from that camera it will apply those 3 things during every import regardless of any other preset chosen. I should note that in my LR Preferences, in the Presets tab I have the box checked to Make defaults specific to camera serial number so that the Profile applies is for that model camera. If you do your NR in LR you can get really nerdy and work out default NR's for each ISO level and apply those on imports as well if you click the Make defaults specific to camera ISO setting as well.

Last edited:

Danno

Thanks BackdoorHippie, I appreciate this additional info. I am newer to LR than photography... and i am SO new to photography. This is helpful. The more l learn the more I realize how much I need to learn. This community and YouTube are very helpful.

SkvLTD

I just have pretty universal/to my taste default presets in ACR that include lens correction based on the lens used, sharpness and noise reduction, and then typical contract and other visual adjustments. Past that only really have to play with vibrancy, possibly exposure, and white balance and re-save the default to pre-apply to the current set of shots.

Essentially, if you're going as far as to shoot RAW, just make it look however you like instead of mimicking the camera's jpeg presets.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Instead, every time I get a new body, after my first import I go in and check the Enable Profile Correction and Remove Chromatic Aberration buttons in Lens Correction, and set the Profile to Camera Standard, then I go to the Develop menu and and choose Set Default Settings and hit Update To Current Settings. This way, every time I import photos from that camera it will apply those 3 things during every import regardless of any other preset chosen. I should note that in my LR Preferences, in the Presets tab I have the box checked to Make defaults specific to camera serial number so that the Profile applies is for that model camera. If you do your NR in LR you can get really nerdy and work out default NR's for each ISO level and apply those on imports as well if you click the Make defaults specific to camera ISO setting as well.

Jake, where do I find the area to change the Profile to Camera Standard? I see options to Enable Profile Corrections which gives me a choice of Default, Auto, or Custom but nothing else. Thank you!

BackdoorArts

Jake, where do I find the area to change the Profile to Camera Standard? I see options to Enable Profile Corrections which gives me a choice of Default, Auto, or Custom but nothing else. Thank you!

In the Camera Calibration module at the bottom of the stack.

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 8.13.30 AM.jpg