Battery age monitor?

skater

Does the battery age monitor on the D7000 work for anyone else? I have two batteries that are about three years old, but that display always shows that they are new. The current charge info and number of pictures taken on the same screen work fine.

It doesn't really bother me - I'm just curious if it works for everyone/anyone else.

MartinCornwall

It is not really an age monitor but more of a battery condition monitor. With time the capacity of the battery will begin to deteriate. My 4 year old d7000 was still showing new and it had been used quite heavily with a shutter count of 96k.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
One of my batteries on my D7100 shows new and the other shows one year. One came with the camera package, the other was purchased a week after the camera purchase 1 1/4 years ago.

WayneF

My cameras (including a D300 in 2007) always show 0 or New. I've never seen anything else. I've wondered if it possibly might be that I never let them discharge more than about 50%? It may not know capacity?

As lithium batteries age, their capacity diminishes. They don't last as long before recharge is needed again. If you still have ample capacity, you're doing OK. If you don't, then you need a replacement.

Fred Kingston

Same here... My D600 battery is on the second notch... but my D200 and D300 are still brand new... ???

​I'm not even sure what the Pic. Number is supposed to be telling me...

WayneF

I think both are there...

At Battery Info menu:

Charge
The current battery level expressed as a percentage.

No. of shots
The number of times the shutter has been released with the current battery
since the battery was last charged. Note that the camera may sometimes
release the shutter without recording a photograph, for example when
measuring preset white balance.

Battery age
A five-level display showing battery age. 0 (k) indicates that battery
performance is unimpaired, 4 (l) that the battery has reached the end of its
charging life and should be replaced. Note that batteries charged at
temperatures under about 5 °C (41 °F) may show a temporary drop in
charging life; the battery age display will however return to normal once the
battery has been recharged at a temperature of about 20 °C (68 °F) or higher.

I am making this up now, but that suggests to me that the battery monitors recharge capacity as an indicator of total capacity, and of capacity loss... And that a full recharge (from some low percentage charge status) would be necessary to indicate capacity ??

I recharge early and often, probably it never reaches 50%, so maybe that's why mine never indicates any capacity loss? Again, I am making this part up.

Bill16

My D700 battery info says new on both batts, not that I've ever worried about it at all. If a batt stops working good I replace it and it's all better again! Lol :) If I remember right I think my D300 Nikon's show the same thing! I think that particular function just doesn't work, though I don't care much.lol :)

I wonder if any of the new Nikon models battery info works any better than my older models?

Krs_2007

I have one that is reflecting 1 and one that is reflecting 2, I always thought this had to do the amount of full discharge/full charge cycles. A battery health so to speak.

skater

Sounds like my experience is pretty normal. Thanks. :)

As I said above, I don't really care, and I know to replace batteries when they don't hold a charge.

I was just wondering if it was a quirk of my camera or of the D7000 (or more) in general.

Last edited: