Radio Transmission Tower

hatlesschimp

Hello,

Thanks for the opportunity to share my photo for critique!

Im new to photography, Lightroom & Photoshop! But I'm eager to learn and improve.

I purchased a Nikon D610 because of my first born baby. I want to make sure I have plenty of photos and video of her. But upon reading forums and magazines I have stumbled upon Stock Photographs. I really like the idea of taking photos, editing them and posting them on these stock sites and maybe just maybe someone might like my photos enough to buy one. Photography is certainly a good hobby and one can empty your pockets very quick! My wife may not be able to pay for the groceries this week! But I would love to earn some pocket money out of it that would allow me to explore photography more.

Basically I would love any feedback I can get, but I know I have little to no knowledge on Composition, Colour and Post Editing. So any help there would be great but obviosuly I'm sure there is plenty of other things wrong with my photo too!

Thank you for your time and I appreciate your help!

Camera: Nikon D610
Lens: Nikon 70 - 200mm 2.8G
Focal Length: 200mm
Exposure: 8.0 Sec @ f/22
ISO: 100
Focus: Manual Focus
Picture Mode: Manual
Counter Weighted Average Metering
Flash: Did not fire
Resolution: 240 Pixel per inche
Image Size: 4077 x 2718
Equipment Used: Tripod, Remote Wired Shutter Button.

Does nikonites shrink the image size?

Transmission Tower.jpg

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
260bx28.jpg

Last edited:

wornish

Pretty good shot.

Yes Nikonites shrinks the image to 1000 pixels on the longest side.
If when your posting you double click on the image you get a chance to select small, medium or large for the display which does make them bigger on the page.

As for critique
These are my opinions only so ignore if you wish I won't be offended, I am certainly no expert :) but you asked so ...

It would help if you made the tower vertical at the moment its leaning to the left .
The sky is a little bit blurry so I would increase the exposure a little and the clarity to give it more interest.
Beyond that there is not a lot more I could suggest.

hatlesschimp

Thanks Dave!

LOL... it is leaning!!! How did I miss that?? :confused:

I know it is a simple photo. Not much colour there but I was trying to use Negative space, Contrast, Thirds and Slow shutter.

At the moment I don't know where I am at with my photos. Everyday Im just trying to take as many pictures as I can. Im trying to get away from the general point of view and shoot photos. But I think I'm stuffing my self up by trying to shoot everything as a simple stock photo. I guess I have to continue trying to find what style I like and play around with various techniques.

Oh well everyone starts somewhere! :D
​I am learning so thats good!!!

wornish

Thanks Dave!

LOL... it is leaning!!! How did I miss that?? :confused:

I know it is a simple photo. Not much colour there but I was trying to use Negative space, Contrast, Thirds and Slow shutter.

At the moment I don't know where I am at with my photos. Everyday Im just trying to take as many pictures as I can. Im trying to get away from the general point of view and shoot photos. But I think I'm stuffing my self up by trying to shoot everything as a simple stock photo. I guess I have to continue trying to find what style I like and play around with various techniques.

Oh well everyone starts somewhere! :D
​I am learning so thats good!!!

Think you are right in finding what style works for you first.
Don't just try and copy stock photos because if you do why should anyone pick yours ? Be different :encouragement: