Nikon D3200 or Nikon D3300 ?

DS1234

Hi. I've decided to buy my first DSLR camera, but I couldn't make a decision yet. After reading some reviews and deciding how much money I want to invest, I found out that I might have 2 options: Nikon D3200 kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF -S DX II + Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm zoom f/4-5.6G ED VR or Nikon D3300 with kit lens . I've been using a compact camera on manual mode so I thought that the guide mode would be useful. I'll use it mostly when I'll travel. What do you think would be better for me? Thank you.

jay_dean

I suppose it depends on what you want to shoot. I'm no expert on either camera, as i've not owned either. I doubt you'll gain any noticeable IQ from the 3300, although i believe the ISO is handled better. I'd look at the 3200 and add a better lens, maybe the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G, which i have owned, and i can recommend.

J-see

I have the D3300 and it's a fine cam but I doubt it'll make a phenomenal difference in regards to quality. Without having shot a D3200 I'd say they're fairly identical.

What you have to take into account is if you plan on sticking with this set-up or plan to expand/upgrade. If the second is the case, the kit lenses matter less since that's always the first you upgrade.

If you want a cam+lens you're going to use for a long time, I'd pick the D3200 + both lenses. If you plan to upgrade lenses in the not too distant future, I'd pick the D3300.

aroy

I would pick D3300 with the new kit lense. The D3200 has similar sensor, but every thing else is on D3300's favour - ISO, burst speed, Video and of course size and weight. Jut get it with 18-55 kit lense and think about the second lense after a few months with the camera. Here in India the D3300 + 18-55-II + 8GB card + Bag costs about $470, where as the D3200 with same goodies is about $50 less. Hence not worth it.

Horoscope Fish

Depending on your budget: D7100, D5300, D3300. In that order.

Nikon is selling refurbs at the following price points: 7100's for $900, D5300's for $650 and D3300's for $500. I'd say the D5300 is hitting the "sweet spot" based on price/performance but the D7100 for under a grand is a steal on an astoundingly good DX camera. This is a very good time to be in the market for a new digital camera, I'd say.

richarddacat

Decisions, decisions.

Currently I'm looking at this lens at $109.

[h=1]Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II DX AF-S Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 3 UV/CPL/ND8 Filters + Hood + Kit (Refurbished by Nikon USA)[/h]
with the D7000 $484. body.

I'd rather have a 18-140 lens but may have to wait on that and this would get me by.

Or a nice package deal on a D3300 for $555.00

Add to this a deal on a D3200 for $310.00 body only and add the above $109 lens.

Or go for the mother load D700 Package at $750.00

:indecisiveness:

Somewhere I've read that the money should be put into a quality lens and begin the shopping there.....? I'm no professional but tend to be very picky on quality and that's one of the reasons I'm tired of P&S results in my photos. I want the best I can get without paying for it...LOL.

richarddacat

D7000 or D7100 if you handle you will see why. 2 control wheels is enough to make it easy choice.

The more I'm comparing features the more I like the deal on a D7000 even though it's an older model.
Most of the fine details won't be something I'd most likely notice anyway.

Unless a similar deal comes up on 5300, that GPS feature and swivel screen would be nice to have.

Last edited:

rocketman122

Hi. I've decided to buy my first DSLR camera, but I couldn't make a decision yet. After reading some reviews and deciding how much money I want to invest, I found out that I might have 2 options: Nikon D3200 kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF -S DX II + Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm zoom f/4-5.6G ED VR or Nikon D3300 with kit lens . I've been using a compact camera on manual mode so I thought that the guide mode would be useful. I'll use it mostly when I'll travel. What do you think would be better for me? Thank you.

personally id wait till after christman, unless you need it as a gift. The D5500 should be announced in january and that means prices will come down for the D5300 which will take you to the next tier and this also includes the swivel tilt screen. just a thought.

aroy

At the rate the suggestions upgrade here, soon he'll have the choice between a D750 and D810. ;)

Actually I would always recommend an FF body, simply because all the Nikon FF bodies have all the features needed to utilise the full range of Nikon lenses and generally built tougher than the lower end DX bodies.

You also have an advantage of needing less wide lenses to get the same FOV compared to DX, and wides (after the Super Telephotos) are the most expensive lenses you will buy.

J-see

Actually I would always recommend an FF body, simply because all the Nikon FF bodies have all the features needed to utilise the full range of Nikon lenses and generally built tougher than the lower end DX bodies.

You also have an advantage of needing less wide lenses to get the same FOV compared to DX, and wides (after the Super Telephotos) are the most expensive lenses you will buy.

Yes but if I want advice if I should buy a D3300 or D3200, recommending a FF ain't helping. It's probably out of my budget. ;)