Pictures from Grizzly tour to BC last October

Calgary 617

I went on a guided grizzly tour with a photographer from AB to the coastal mountains of BC last October during the salmon run. Grizzlies are my favorite animal since I moved to Canada three years ago and this was the chance for me, to finally see them up close and to get some pictures. It was an amazing trip, we saw 21 grizzlies during five days and an uncountable number of eagles.

Here's the valley in which we were staying during the trip with the log cabins. It was 250km away from the next town, no internet, only satellite telephone, but a paradise for nature photographers

Valley by Calgary617, on Flickr

The first grizzlies we saw just three after after landing with the small plane, a huge sow and two cubs

Grizzly sow with cub by Calgary617, on Flickr

The saw was way bigger than any bear I had ever seen in AB

Sow splashing water by Calgary617, on Flickr

Some days we saw no grizzlies at all, but the landscape still provided nice shots

Rainbow by Calgary617, on Flickr

And the eagles were amazing too, in AB they fly off when you get as close as 500meters, here they were flying by so close that I could take shots at 300 getting them nearly full frame

Bald eagle soaring by Calgary617, on Flickr

Sow and cub play fighting

Playfight by Calgary617, on Flickr

This was the only time when we got too close to the bears (we were shooting from small fishing boats) when the wind blew us closer and we didn't notice. But the sow was just interested in salmon and we slowly paddled away

Way too close by Calgary617, on Flickr

Another bald eagle

Bald eagle by Calgary617, on Flickr

A view of the river we were driving along every day to watch for bears, only when I looked at the pictures at home I saw that I had two of the jumping salmon in the shot. That year they had 2.5 million salmon running up, which is ten times than during a regular salmon run when they had the largest for over 100 years last year.

Jumping salmon landscape by Calgary617, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
great shots and a nice trip for you. maybe one day I can make it out there.
Keep posting these nice shots and welcome to our forums.

Calgary 617

Thanks guys. It was an amazing time! We actually planned to go there only once, but on the second day we immediately booked another tour for this year as it was just amazing. This year it will be later in October, as they usually have more bears later, so we're all anxious for the time to fly by until we can go back.